Sawyer's Song

*Kane's POV*

Mama grabbed me by my ear an dragged me downstairs. She scolded me for listening in and said how she raised me better than that. I saw Sawyer over Mama's head and shoulder. She stood there biting her thumb and tryin to hold back that smile of hers. I felt a goofy smile pull at the corners of my mouth, until Mama yanked on my ear.

"Kane Allen Brown, you best be listening to me!" Mama yelled "You hear me?!"

"Yes, Mama." I said and heard Sawyer snort in laughter.

It took everything in me to not smile at her cute laugh. Once Mama figured out that it was pointless to scold me, she huffed and walked to the kitchen to finish breakfast. Sawyer approached me and smiled up at me.

"I'm going to go get dressed." Sawyer said

She headed up the stair and I looked over at Mama in the kitchen. I heard someone coming back down the stairs and looked to see Sawyer. She got up on her tip-toes and pulled my shoulder down towards her. She placed a soft kiss on my cheek and ran off to get dressed. I smiled as I watched her go.

"She's a nice one." Mama said with a knowing look. "Now you come in here and eat your breakfast before it gets cold.

I sat down at the bar in the kitchen as Mama piled eggs and sausage links onto my plate. I dug in as she poured me a cup of coffee. I lazily scrolled through my phone, trying to ignore the gossip columns about me. Just as I was finishing my eggs, Sawyer came downstairs in a white tank top and one of my plaid shirts unbuttoned. She had on her jeans and her shoes. I ran upstairs to finish getting ready, and I kisses Mama's cheek before Sawyer and I ran out the door.

We drove into town and pulled into the nearest auto shop there was. They told us it'd be about an hour wait for them to replace my headlight so we decided to walk around the store. We got into the construction side of the store when she ran ahead of me. She picked up a flexible tubing and held it up to her nose.

"I'm an elephant!" She said and made a horrible attempt at an elephant noise and I laughed

"What? You don't believe I'd make a great elephant?" Sawyer teased. "I'm hurt. The great Kane Brown doesn't think I would make a great elephant."

"You'd definitely be the cutest elephant I've ever seen." I said and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"Really?" She smiled and put the tubing down.

"Well, that and the smallest one too." I laughed

"Kane!" Sawyer smacked my shoulder as she tried to fight the smile and the blush crossing her face.

I couldn't help but laugh at how cute she was. We continued up and down aisles, messing around and having fun while taking a few hilarious pictures on Sawyer's camera. I was especially proud of the one from the outdoor grill section where I found a kiss-the-cook apron. Eventually they called my name over the intercom and we began to head across the store. I took her hand in mine. Her hand was so small that it looked as if mine had swallowed her's whole.

We picked up my truck and were off on back roads with a whole afternoon wide open for just the two of us. We headed back to the house and inside for lunch. I wasn't the best cook but I tried my hardest to show off to her. I was so focused on making lunch that once I had finished, I turned around and she was gone.

*Sawyer's POV*

Kane seemed so concentrated on making our lunch that I thought it wouldn't hurt to sneak off for a bit and look around a little. I wandered through the house and looked at the paintings on the walls. There wasn't much for pictures of him and his mother other than in the sun room that was filled with instruments.

I wandered over to the piano and let my fingertips brush against the keys. It was a beautiful piano. I looked at the door and could still hear dishes and pans clashing so I knew Kane was still hard at work on who knows what he was cooking. He said it was going to be a surprise and had gotten out a lot of pans. A few minutes couldn't hurt, so I sat down and played a few keys. It wasn't anything great. I hadn't played since I was about ten or eleven and didn't remember much. Someone cleared their throat and I looked up to see Kane in the door holding two plates with sandwiches. 

"It took you all those pans to make two sandwiches?" I asked

"No. It took me all those pans to realize I was hungry for a sandwich instead." Kane smiled

He was impossible. I laughed and shook my head as I took the plate from him. He could make a good sandwich, but I said that I would handle cooking dinner. I saw some music sheets with scribbles on them and pulled them over.

"They're nothin' special. I just keep getting so stuck in my head and nothin' sounds good anymore. It used to be easy but it's so frustrating now." Kane said

"Well what do you usually do to get ideas?" I asked

"Sometimes things just come. Other times, I have inspiration. An other times, my team thinks of something and I'm like 'let's record this'." Kane said

"Well I don't think you could write a song about a sandwich, no matter how many pots and pans inspire you to make one." I said and took a bite

"But I could write a song about you." Kane said

I stopped eating and looked up at him. He sat there, looking at me with a satisfied smile on his face and bright eyes. I had learned that it was the look he had when he had an idea in his head that he was debating.

"I... I'm nothing to write a song about. I'm nothin' special." I said quietly, looking down and putting my plate to the side.

"You're special to me." Kane whispered

He put his plate down and got up. He stood in front of me and bent down so he was balancing on the balls of his feet and sitting on his heels. He took my hands in his and turned them over a few times, examining them or thinking, I didn't know. The edges of his mouth turned up in a smile as his eyes locked with mine. He nodded and pulled my hands to his mouth to place a kiss on my knuckles. 

I was special to him.

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -  - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - -- 

Thank you for reading! Love you all for reading!