Sanctuary

*Kane's POV*

Yawning and stretching, I closed the garage door and dragged myself inside. Mama was in the kitchen, the smell of food drawing me into the kitchen. I got my hand smacked when I tried sneaking a taste before it was ready to be eaten. I could hear the water to the shower running. Sawyer must be getting cleaned up before dinner. I swiped an orange from the fruit bowl and hopped up on the counter, using all of my energy to focus on peeling it.

"I'm going to have to call them at some point, as I'm sure you know." Mama said

"I know..." I said, popping a slice into my mouth.

"They aren't happy with you. This could really hurt your career, and I know how much performing and music means to you." Mama said

"She means a lot to me too..." I looked down

"I know." She paused and lifted my chin, "but it's a mother's job to worry about her child's well being. I just don't want you to lose everything you've worked so hard for. Then again, I did raise you and you turned out to be a lot like me. Perhaps too much." Mama smiled

"Saying I'm stubborn?" I smiled as I finished my orange.

"I prefer the word determined." she said and I laughed, "Now go take a shower before dinner."

I slid off the counter and threw away the peelings. The water in the bathroom was off which meant Sawyer would be done soon. Mama had busied herself with getting down two extra plates. I turned to head back to the guest room when Mama stopped me in my tracks.

"Kane, I hope you know what you're doing." She worried

I hugged her, "I need her, Mom. She's all I could think about to get me through these past few shows. You saw the mess I became without her."

All she could do is nod. This was mine and mine alone to handle, and I would, after some needed rest and a shower. I walked into the guest room and laid on the bed, rolling onto my stomach and closing my eyes momentarily. I heard the door to the bathroom open, but my eyes were too heavy to stay open. The warm steam pouring out of the bathroom only increased my comfort. 

The bed tilted slightly, and I sighed in relief as her hands attempted to work the tight, tension knots out of my neck and shoulders. I reached my arm out and wrapped it around her waist, pulling her closer to where I was on the bed. I pressed my forehead against the side of her thigh and pressed a drowsy kiss against her jeans. Shower and food completely forgotten, sleep came easy for once.

*Sawyer's POV*

Kane's face scrunched up as I worked out some of the knots in his upper shoulders and neck. As I moved my hand up from the base of his neck into his hair, his face relaxed into one of relief. I smiled as he sighed and his shoulders relaxed. His mother knocked on the open door, but Kane continued on snoring away, arm tightening around me momentarily as he shifted.

Seeing my position, she brought me a plate of food and a glass of water and brought a blanket to put over Kane. I set my plate on Kane's back, figuring if he wasn't about to let me go anytime soon I might as well have a spot for my plate. His mother laughed at this as she left the room. I scrolled through my phone seeing all the latest headlines.

Kane Brown runs out on fans again.

Mystery Girl stealing rising country sensation from career.

Kane Brown's management team on the hunt for their client.

Is Kane Brown and the mystery girl expecting? "Oh please" I rolled my eyes.

Kane Brown Career shattering move: Rising Country Star's Management team prepares to sue for losses.

My stomach dropped. I couldn't eat anymore after the last headlining article. Kane shifted beside me again and snapped me out of it. I locked my phone and set my plate on the side table. He rolled over onto his back and rubbed his hands over his face as he yawned. He looked looked around the room before looking at me.

"Hey." he said and stretched.

"Hey. Have a nice nap?" I forced a smile.

"Yeah. Mama still up?" He asked, checking the clock.

"I think she went to bed. All of the lights are turned out." I said, looking out the bedroom door.

"I should shower and you should get some sleep." Kane said

I nodded as Kane got up. He grabbed my plate from the side table and ate the last bite off of it as he left to take it to the kitchen. I lunged for my phone and unlocked it, pulling up the article as fast as I could. I had to know if it was real or not. I jumped and almost dropped my phone as Kane came back into the room with a towel to take a shower. I slid my phone under my thigh as he walked into the bathroom. He turned to close the door and looked at me. He paused and came back out to check on me, feeling my forehead and taking my hands while he bent down next to the bed.

"You feeling okay?" Kane asked

"Yeah. I'm fine. Just feeling tired." I said

"Let's get you comfortable then." He said and pulled back the covers for me to climb under.

"Kane..." I said as he turned to go to the bathroom again.

"Yeah, Sawyer?" He looked back.

"You don't think you'd lose your record deal over this, do you?" I asked, causing him to sigh and sit on the edge of the bed.

"Whatever my mother said, don't worry. I will talk to my management tomorrow. I'll tell them that they pushed me too hard before I was ready and that I need you with me for any of this to work." Kane said and I nodded.

"I promise. Don't worry about it right now. Get some sleep." He said

He kissed my forehead and the leaned down and kissed me gently. He went into the bathroom and I heard the water start to run. I turned off the lamp on my side and closed my eyes, figuring the only thing I could do for now was to sleep.

*Kane's POV*

I opened the door of the bathroom and turned out the light. Sawyer was asleep, holding the covers close to her in one arm and the other arm sprawled out. I smiled wide and saw her phone on the bed still. I picked it up and went to put it on the side table when my finger brushed cross the home button, lighting up the screen. It showed her most recent search items and I noticed my name. One article caught my eye, Kane Brown Career shattering move: Rising Country Star's Management team prepares to sue for losses.

I looked at Sawyer as I put her phone down on the table. She had been worried about me. The author of the article was a gossip chain, making me less worried about it and knowing that there was nothing I could do until morning. I climbed in bed on the other side and looked over at Sawyer.

Time. Just a little more time.