Chapter Four: Opportunities

For the past few days afterwards, Herobrine and I had been in this repetitive cycle. He would come over and I offered him something to eat or drink. We talked a little, at leash I would about our days. Herobrine was quiet and didn't ever say what he was up to, so I just did all the talking during those times. After four days since we met, things finally started to happen, and my life then began to swerve into a whole new different direction.

   "Herobrine what do you think?" I asked.
We were both out walking in the village and I picked some oxeye daises to put in my hair. Although Herobrine never gave a response. He just looked at me for a split second and continued walking down the path. I already figured that he wouldn't be interested, but I still wanted to show him. After all I did live alone for most of my life, and I enjoyed the company regardless.
As we walked down the path, I decided to to place torches where we went. I thought that if a villager ever came back to the village they wouldn't get bitten by mobsters so quickly; since mobsters don't come out around light of course.
As I was putting down a torch near the corner of a farm, I got a tap on my shoulder. Herobrine wanted to tell me something on a sign.
  "Oh, something you want to tell me?" I question. Herobrine nodded his head as he continued to write.
   "May I offer you something?" The sign said.
   "Um, okay what is it?" I asked.
Herobrine erased what he wrote and wrote something else.
   "I would like to offer you a job," Herobrine continued. "You would be collecting information for me, and in return I would pay you the right amount of either emeralds, or diamonds."
I didn't know what to say. The offer sounded great and all, but I didn't know what I would risk for it. Either way, the idea of diamonds for payment outweighed my idea of danger, so I agreed. "Good. There's just one small catch to it," Herobrine wrote.
   "What's the catch?" I queried.
Herobrine began to walk in a different direction. He turned around and gave a gesture to follow him, and I did just that.
"Where are we going?" I asked.
Herobrine gave no response. I figured that since he wouldn't tell me, I had to find out for myself.

   "What. Is. This?" I said as I stared at what looked like some sort of machine.
Herobrine and I walked for miles, and then he turned at a ninety degrees angle towards a cave. As I followed him down I noticed that it was a perfect hole, and red stone torches were placed in a straight line. I was curious of where it was leading , but my expression changed when I saw the machine.
The machine was massive. There was a chest to the right of it, some sort of glass cylinder to the left, and a lever on an iron stand in front of Herobrine and I. The cylinder was hooked up to a funnel, and a long iron rod surrounded by glass connected the chest and the cylinder.
I looked up at the cylinder. There was an opening in the front, and it looked big enough to fit... me?
I looked over at Herobrine standing beside me holding a sign.
   "I need you to go in it," it said.
   "What? Go in that thing?" I hollered.
   Herobrine wrote on two signs,"You need to be strong and qualified for the job; Tm
his machine will give you the strength you need."
   "But I-I'm strong! Didn't you see me lift up that cauldron into the house yesterday?" I said as I flexed my arms to show muscle.
   "Not that kind of strong," Herobrine wrote. "You need to be able to handle anything or anyone that gets in your way. You also need to be able to fight someone like me."
I thought about it for a minute.
   "Can you show me how it works?" I asked.
Herobrine pointed at the chest after writing on... a lot of signs.
   "Inside this chest is a potion full of powers. Some of that power is from me, but I notified it to be more... unique. The chest is hooked up to this rod, and once I turn it on the potion should travel through the rod and into the funnel at the top of the chamber. I put glass around the rod to keep any potion from leaking out."
He wrote on one more sign as I examined the machine. "One last thing, water should come out from the bottom. If you look down, there is a drain at the middle of the chamber."
As I gazed up at the machine, I took time to think some more.
   "What happens if I don't go in?" I asked.
   "You won't get the job, and I'll leave you alone," Herobrine wrote.
There was another pause in the cave. I thought about the pros and cons on my decision. If I do go into the machine, I'll be working for Herobrine and most likely the powers are permanent. However if I don't risk it, my life will be boring forever with no friends. If I do get the powers, there's a good chance that I might make a few friends!
   "I'll do it," I smiled.
Herobrine opened the door and helped me inside. Once he closed the door he went over to the lever to turn it on.
Before we begun I asked Herobrine, "wait, will this hurt?"
   He held up a sign that said, "probably."
It was too late for me to say anything else after that, as Herobrine already flipped the switch.
Water started pumping out of the drain, and as I looked to my left I saw a liquid coming through the tube along with some sparks on the rod. As the potion infused into my body I heard thunder all around me, and I was in so much pain that I couldn't move a muscle, or even say a word. I couldn't see Herobrine anymore; Just more water as it reached the top of my head. As I struggled to hold my breath the pain got worse. The thunder felt like lightning as it pierced my sides. I couldn't fight it any more. Everything started to get hazy...
and then it all went black.

   "Wake up."
As I started to gain conscience I heard a voice in front of me. It was dark, and Stern, so it couldn't have been James.
   "Uuuhhh..." I whined. "My head, how long was I out?"
   "Not long," the voice answered.
   "Where, am I?" I moaned, As I opens my eyes only to see more darkness. There seemed to be some bandage on my face.
   "My place. Don't move so much; Your muscles are still weak," he said. "I'll help you up."
He lifted me up and supported me from the left; Holding my arm over his neck.
   "Where are we going?" I questioned.
   "To get some air."
As we walked down what felt like a hallway I started to get more aware.
   "I'm sorry, but who are you?" I asked cautiously.
   "It's me, Herobrine."

********************************************

Here's to twenty views! Thank you so much for reading my very first book!
Sorry about all the mistakes in the first couple chapters I never caught them until it was too late but I fixed them now so yay! Also, when I said "mobsters" that wasn't a mistake. It's a play on word. I think you get it so I'm not gonna explain it a lot. Anyway, thanks again!
                                           -Dragonraiser 💕