Part 9

Texas POV

I didn't want to go back to school that week. I was too overwhelmed by the party and the news about Dad. I decided that it was best not to tell anyone about Dad. I haven't even told my Mum! I can't have people feeling sorry for me.

After English, I walked down the hallway and to my locker. My eyes caught Mike and June chatting not too far away from my locker. I wasn't in the mood to talk to them but decided that I should be polite and at least say hi to them. I strutted up to them and they immediately turned to look at me.

"Hi," I said cheerfully though I felt like rolling my eyes at them.

"Um... hi," June gave me a small wave while Mike flashed me a big smile. I headed to my locker while they continued chatting. I spun the combination on the lock and grabbed the books I needed for class. Just as I was about to leave, June called me.

"Texas! Aren't you gonna to stay for a while?" June asked, cupping her hands over her mouth to amplify her voice although I was less than two meters away from her. "Don't you want to catch up with us?"

I gave her a small smile.

"I'm just really busy right now. I'll catch up with you guys later," I told them, waving goodbye. I clutched the books close to my chest as I headed off for my next class. I don't know why but my heart suddenly felt so heavy.

"Texas!" Lizz called, looking up from her phone. It looked as if she was busy texting someone.

"Hey Lizz," I mumbled, blinking back the tears that were forming in my eyes.

"Are you okay?" Lizz asked, slipping her phone into her pocket and looking at me with concern.

"Can you hold my books for a while?" I asked and she nodded, taking the stack of books from my hands. I rushed to the washroom. I went to the sink and looked up at the mirror before me. I felt like my chest was hurting and I just wanted to break down and cry. I walked to the cubicle and pulled up some tissues, wiping the tears that was leaving a trail down my cheeks.

"Stupid girl," I muttered. It was a waste that I missed a chance to get to know my father and that life was so unfair. Whatever it was, I needed to be strong and Lizz's arms were probably aching from carrying my textbooks.

"Sorry I took so long," I apologized, taking the books from her arms.

"Did something happen?" Lizz asked. "You know you can talk to me about it."

"No, I'm fine. Just got some mascara in my eye, that's all," I said.

"You're lying," Lizz sighed. "You've heard about them, haven't you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I answered truthfully.

"Don't pretend you don't know about June and Mike," Lizz crossed her arms. "I guess that's why you're upset."

"What about Mike?" I asked, getting annoyed that I wasn't up to date about anything.

"You really don't know?" Lizz asked. "I really shouldn't be telling you."

"Lizz! Stop beating around the bush and spit it out!" I yelled, frustrated with her. "What is going on!?"

"Fine. You know the night of your party?" Lizz started and I nodded, eager for her to finish up her sentence. "Well, they slept together and now June thinks that she was the one for Mike. You know that star-crossed lovers, bull? Yeah, that's what June thinks. But you have to keep it a secret! June can't know that you know!"

My jaw fell to the ground and I almost dropped my books onto the floor.

"I can't believe this," I gasped. "I actually thought Mike liked me."