Twenty-Six

SIERRA COULDN'T LIE and say she wasn't upset from not being allowed to join the investigation with Stiles and Lydia at the high school. She understood Stiles' concern, but he said it himself. She knew how to protect herself. After all, she's fought alphas (on multiple occasions), a Darach and a killer lizard. A crazed man was nothing compared to what she had been through.

An annoyed huff escaped her lips at the thought of missing out on discovering new clues and investigating the hallways. Her phone had been her source of entertainment for the past fifteen minutes, whether it be replying to Stiles' updates or randomly scrolling through her social media. However, now it was starting to get repetitive and boring. Sierra sat up and glanced around the bedroom, thinking of possible activities to pass time until her boyfriend and Lydia returned.

"When you're home alone in a house that isn't yours, you might as well watch their TV," Sierra grumbled aloud, and stood up from where she had been laying on the bed. After jogging down the stairs, she quickly grabbed a blanket and the remote to get herself comfortable. "Like anyone would watch that," Sierra scoffed at the sight of a teen drama built up on werewolves being real. But, she didn't change the channel. "Scott's werewolf form looks nothing like that," Sierra scrunched up her nose from the makeup done on the cast. If only she could tell them what supernatural creatures really looked like. Then maybe it would be more intriguing.

The sound of something hitting the house from the outside immediately made Sierra mute the television without a second thought. It could've been nothing, but living in the world she did made her believe it was something. She slowly raised to her feet, careful to stay silent. Her heart rate remained steady and her left hand stayed poised at her side in case someone jumped out at her while she moved to hide behind a wall.

Her ears perked from hearing a squeak, as if someone had opened the front door. Sierra held her breath in order to focus on the energy throughout the house, to see if someone really was inside with her. She knew quickly it wasn't Stiles or his father-the only people who should be entering the Stilinski household. Biting down on her lip, she argued internally about whether she should move from her hiding place.

Her head snapped to the couch from hearing her phone buzz, seeing it lighting up repeatedly to let her know Stiles was trying to reach her. However, she never moved. Her fingers started to slightly shake from the intense situation leading her decide to just go for it. Sierra stepped out from the wall and moved through the doorway that led near the stairs.

Sounds of doors closing upstairs made her eyes narrow, and she moved up the steps as carefully as she could to not spook whoever it was. Room by room she entered, searching for anyone. But by the time she made it to the end of the hallway, she couldn't help but feel slightly angry. She knew in her heart that she heard noises, yet there was no one up here.

It was that one second that she let her guard down, the one moment she allowed her hands to fall to her side. She didn't even turn around. All she remembered was an evil cackle in her ear before the heavy weight of a metal bat slammed against her skull, causing her body to immediately crumble into a heap.

*^*^*^*

"Why isn't she answering me?" Stiles asked Lydia in annoyance, once again hitting Sierra's contact picture in his phone. "She always answers me."

"Maybe she fell asleep?" the banshee suggested with her arms crossed over her chest. "She hasn't gotten a lot of sleep recently so maybe she wanted to take a nap or something."

Stiles looked at her unsurely, but slightly nodded to know he took her words into account. Letting out a deep breath, he lifted his head to see random numbers perfectly aligned in a column on the chalkboard. Watching his friend move towards them curiously, he asked, "Are those atomic numbers?"