Twenty-Nine

WHEN THEY ENTERED THE SMALL ROOM, Stiles sat down on the hospital bed while Sierra stood beside him, his hoodie in her hand. She offered him an assuring smile once Melissa started asking him the basic symptom questions. Stiles kept his gaze on his girlfriend as he answered, knowing he'd stay relaxed with her by his side.   "Blackouts," he shared. "But not for that long. Sleepwalking, which I used to do a lot as a kid."

Confusion washed over Sierra as he listened to him explain how bad his anxiety had gotten, wondering why he had been keeping all of his feelings concealed from her. Guilt also twisted her stomach from realizing if she had paid more attention, they wouldn't be in the hospital. "Panic attacks?" Melissa questioned, writing everything he said on a clipboard.

"Yeah a few," Stiles confirmed with a small nod, glancing at her.

"What?" Sierra spoke up, her eyebrows furrowed in concern

"What?" Sierra spoke up, her eyebrows furrowed in concern. "When did you have a panic attack?"

"The last severe one was when I found out Jennifer finished taking everyone," he replied, his light brown eyes facing the floor. "The others weren't as bad but they were triggered through my nightmares."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Sierra asked gently. "We told each other we'd be honest about those kind of things."

"I didn't want to worry you," Stiles told her honestly. "You were suffering through enough with your transformation into a True Empath and dealing with the darkness. Oh, that reminds me. " He turned towards Melissa who had been waiting patiently. "I also, uh, temporarily lost the ability to read, but that might have to do with this giant magic tree and a whole human sacrifice thing."

Melissa cracked a grin, nodding her head. "Yeah," she confirmed, "I recall something vaguely about that, yes." She paused to finish writing something down before she asked, "How many hours of sleep are you getting?"

Stiles didn't answer at first, but then as he looked over at his girlfriend and her worried eyes, he sighed deeply. "Eight."

Sierra glanced at Melissa before focusing back on Stiles as he rubbed the back of his neck jadedly. "Eight hours a night?" she repeated. "That's good, right?"

"No," Stiles answered, shaking his head. "I mean eight in the last three days." Melissa stopped writing and looked at him with wide eyes. The boy looked down at his lap unsurely and counted mentally with his fingers before nodding to confirm.

 The boy looked down at his lap unsurely and counted mentally with his fingers before nodding to confirm