Four

"Okay, I get it." I stared at Rosealine begging to be saved while Hunter continued to list all the reasons he doesn't trust Niko. "What's up beautiful?" She asked with a small smile tugging at her lips. "Hunter's 101 annoying reasons to fear Niko for dummies edition, and the oddly terrifying fact that you seem happy." I dropped my stuff on the floor to join the gang for lunch. "Where's your phone?" She smiled evily. My heart got stuck in my throat as I felt myself for my phone. Liana cackled from behind me holding the device up in the air. I groaned as I got up to chase the short girl across from me. Luckily I caught up to her short legs and tackled her to the ground causing the entire cafeteria to stare at us. Her face flushed a bright red causing her ginger head to seem to fade. I shrugged walking back to eat my lunch in peace. "So..." Rain poked at her food. "Detective......" Tobias forwarded to Hunter. "Lucas." Hunter smirked. I dropped my utensils and stared at my friends. "Really. Hunter, really." I gave him a death glare. "Wasn't me." He held his hands up with the same stupid smirk played across his innocent face. Rosealine grinned from ear to ear while my phone notification went off.

I guess coffee outside of the station wouldn't kill me. See you later?

L: Perfect, see you on Friday, I'll pick you up after school.

I dropped my jaw and phone not knowing how to feel. "Your welcome." Rosealine giggled. "Who says I even like the guy, why would you do this to me." I whined hitting my head on the table. "Please. Wanna go to the break room and play good cop bad cop?" Hunter teased batting his eyelashes. I scrunched my face in disgust and turned to face Harley who seemed awfully quiet. "Harley Quinn what's wrong?" I asked. "Nothing, I just didn't sleep much last night." She yawned. "Who is sleep?" Tobias commented. "Mood." We all agreed.

"How's Parker holding up?" I asked Hunter, noticing how silent the group was without him. "Why don't you ask your detective?" He shoved a spoon of mashed potatoes in his mouth. "You guys are annoying, I'll probably won't even go." I continued to eat. "Why?!" Tobias loudly asked. "Because I'm going home with Rosealine." I kept my eyes on my food. "Rain can take me. Plus we already know you like him, you can even look him in the eyes. And we already know what that means." Rosealine quickly added. "Ugh, fine. But if I get kidnapped it's your fault." I groaned. The bell rang signalling the end of lunch.

The end of the day was approaching quickly, my phone went off waking me from my nap.

R: Can we go to the station after school? Hunter says Niko can have visitors and I want to talk to him.

A: Of course hunny bunny. Just try to make it to Smokey in time you know how traffic gets after school.

R: stop calling your Jeep Smokey it's not a pet.

A: it's my pet, at least you have a ride, be grateful.

"Good morning sleeping beauty," Toby chuckled handing me my bag. I gave him a small smile and a big hug as the bell rang signalling the end of the day. Just as promised Rose made it to my old Jeep in time and we waved to out friends as they all dispersed on their way home. Hunter caught up to us, " You wanna spare a ride to the station, my dads on call and I don't have my house keys." He smiled begging. "Hop in." I rushed him before speeding down the road.

We waited for twenty minutes when Rosealine gets called to meet with Niko. "Lucas is on lunch break right now." Hunter glanced in my direction then nodding to the break room. "So." I stared at the desks in front of me. "So go enjoy yourself, it's my job to watch the people." He pushed me out of the chair and down the hall. I was about to turn around when someone grabbed my wrist. I turned swiftly and elbowed them dead center in the nose. "Oh my, I'm so sorry." I took a step back as Lucas flinched and stumbled while red rivers dropped from his nostrils. "Damn you got one hell of a swing." He sniffed holding his nose. I opened the break room doors handing him napkins and ice feeling really guilty. "Sorry, again. It's a reflex." I muttered for the fifth time. "It's fine see, all better. Glad you can defend yourself though." He removed the bloody napkin to reveal a clean chiseled nose. I nodded before getting up to throw out the ice. " So what are you doing here today?" He asked handing me my usual Vanilla latte. "Rosealine came to visit Niko. Plus apparently I was supposed to 'see you later'." I made air quotes.

"Yes you did say that." He chuckled staring into my eyes. "Actually Rosealine sent the texts, I never actually agreed to anything." I dropped my gaze. I watched his face fall in disappointment. "So it's still a maybe?" He asked quietly. I smiled, " No, I'll go. I could use some time out of the house, plus I want to know how in the world you're...well you." I finally looked up at him. He grinned nearly spilling the coffee on his lap and dark blue coat. I guess this was going to be my next hour or so.

[~Rosealine~]

I sat at the table as Niko's guard uncuffed him giving him free range. "So there is an alternate side story to you isn't there." I sighed plopping down in the chair. He sat there quietly, eyeing the guards movements. A good minutes passes when he scooted closer to me so whisper something. "You have to get me out of here. This isn't my fault." He pleaded. "Do I even want to know?" I asked leaning forward. "How does the new kid who's been in town for what, two or three weeks, become the suspect of murder?" I quietly yelled letting my confusion and frustration get the best of me. My stomach began to churn as I saw the darkness in his eyes, a mixture of fear and guilt. "Look. I know you have no reason to trust me, being the mystery new kid and all. This isn't my fault, I know it looks bad but I never killed Tristen." He tried to convince me. "If that's your sob story excuse to get out of here, I'm not surprised they don't let you out." I annoyingly stood up, ready to leave. "Please." He reached for my forearm but the guard started to yell at him. "Talk to Rian, tell him I sent you. He can tell you everything, I need you to check on something at my place." He muttered. I sat back down letting the better judgement to leave slip away. He leaned into my ear and whispered something simple, yet somehow... my head started spinning and my heart rose with my stomach churning at the sound of his voice.

[~Allison~]

Only minutes in that break room alone, felt like hours. " Are you decent.. is it safe?" Hunter peeked through the door. I laughed motioning him to join me. "No I can't stay, Rose is ready." He walked through the door quietly and slowly shutting it behind him. I stood up ready to ease my bored mind. "But wait." He wrapped an arm around my waist. I turned to meet his worried eyes. "Niko's got a criminal record. Nothing too major just a few gang-related issues and run-ins. So please I'm begging you, think before you act." He held me closely. I nodded to reassure him, Hunter was a sweetheart, I know all he wanted to do is look out for me. But regardless of how long he's been here I trust Niko. I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

I walked speedily to meet Rose as she stared off into the distance seeming uncomfortable. "Leaving so soon?" Lucas startled me as he and Hunter's Dad entered the station. "Indeed Detective." I smiled in his direction. "Can we please go. I need to run an errand." Rosealine mumbled, she tends to do that when she's deep in thought. I nodded grabbing my sweater as we marched to Smokey and driving off.

"Where to, bunny?" I braked as we pulled up to a stop sign. "Niko's house." She looked at me with determination and anxiety in her bright hazel orbs. I decided it was best not to ask questions.