Thirteen

"I can explain. Please." I begged with tears burning at my eyes, I felt my heart sink as she swung the door open dropping the two dipped cones in her hands. "Rose." She softly questioned with a look of disappointment and disapproval in her eyes. "Look, Ali it's different. He's not like-" I began, she swiftly turned on her heels storming off down the street. I grumbled in frustration sauntering back over to my counter. "Rosealine..." Niko reached out for me. "Get home safe." I tossed his his leather jacket and locked the door behind him. "Wait. What about-" he tried to cut me off. "I'll call you later, tell me when you get home.

I locked myself in the bathroom sliding down the cool soft toned wall. I pulled out my phone to text Allison.

I'm home.

I sighed in relief, at least she was safe.
I'm sorry.

Don't apologize. I get it.

No I just need to explain. He's different it's not like he's gonna get me in trouble or anything.

Yeah, and every one I've ever dated was just the wrong decision and worth your hypocritical lectures.

My heart shattered into a few more pieces at the words on the screen. I didn't think he would bother her as much as it did. But then I remembered her toxic relationship with her most recent ex. Taking a deep breath I trudged my way back into the kitchen and made a cup of coffee. Not like I'd be sleeping much anyway.

[~Allison~]

The weekend went by pretty quickly, Lucas got caught up at work so I didn't see much of him. I still haven't gotten around to apologizing to Rose, I've been an emotional train wreck for the past few weeks. I think this small town mystery is messing with everyone in its own unique way.

Even at school, it was like a ghost town. People who needed the necessary time to grieve were allowed to take at least two weeks of healing time off. Which was idiocy, because out of all the student who wasn't in school, Tristen's closest friends were all here. Divided and awkward, but we were all here. Everything seemed normal, or at least as normal as possible. But then Tobias is constantly following Rosaline around. He probably means to talk to her, but knowing him his confidence would set him up for the confrontation easily. And plus, we were all friends before we have fucking tattoos to represent it. But do I regret that decision? No. I don't think any of us do, what he had was undeniable but it's a battle scar. Things happen, it's a part of life.

I spent the day pondering with Rosaline and Niko zooming through my head every ten seconds. I know how I'm going to fix it, it's just a matter if she's willing to forgive me.

I sped down to the police station after receiving a text from Lucas.

L: hey little lion, could u come to the station after school, I wanna show u something.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect. But as I pulled into the station I find reporters lining up by the doors so I pull my phone out and call Lucas immediately.

"Go around back I'm holding the door open, there's this thing that I don't understand and your the alibi so we need confirmation." He said lowering his voice. I jerked the car to a stop in the parking spot shuffling inside. "Why are there so many reporters? Who-" I put down my bag and sweater on the chair in the dead end of the corridor. Lucas kissed me softly cupping my face and placed his forehead on mine. "Listen." He stared deeply into my eyes, in all seriousness. "You mean everything to me, and I know this job makes all of this hard." He pointed between us still inches away from my face. "But you need to tell the entire truth in there, I have no idea why this is happening and it may seem a bit awkward because I'm not allowed to grill you for questions. But I'll be right behind the mirror watching, so please." he paused inhaling a deep breath. "No matter what happens I'll be there to get you out of any trouble whatsoever." He stroked my cheek with his thumb. I nodded slowly.

"Wait a minute..." I peered into the other hallway to find a familiar blonde haired girl.

"I'm sorry honey but we gotta keep in moving." the young cop sweetly nudged me forward.

"Jennifer Terrell" I rudely exclaimed having my heart jump into my throat from shock. "You'll find out soon enough. Your lawyer is already in there." The sweet woman smiled brightly. "Mrs. Evans," I greeted her politely with a quick embrace. "Ms. Rodgersman." She kindly guest urged for me to sit. "Now if there are any questions you feel uncomfortable with just give me a small glance or dodge it with a hypothetical or neutralizing it." She explained some key tips to me as we waited for this mysterious detective. "Neutralize the question?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I did and did not tamper with any evidence." She exemplified. I nodded. The short, dark skinned officer sat before me at the table, leaning into his seat with a relaxed manner. "I hear you know Ms. Jennifer Terrell." He stated firmly not looking up from his file. "Yes." I tried to keep things short.

"Were you two friends?" He asked.

"We were neither friends nor enemies?" I bounced back. Mrs. Evans gave a proud nod of approval.

"So you're acquaintances." He looked up lifting a bushy brow. I shook my head glancing over at my lawyer.

"Do you know of any connection or relationship you're blond friend may have with the recently deceased." He folded his hands on the table, I could feel his frustration clouding the room.

I paused not knowing if it would help the case. "It was complicated, but simple." I lowered my voice. "Can you elaborate?" He pounded.

"She was head over heels in love with him, he had just gotten out of a long relationship. No one liked her." I rambled on. After processing what I said I immediately shut my mouth, Mrs. Evans gave me an encouraging tap with her foot with a smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "And why is that?" He flipped through the gin file in his lap.

"Because She could be over bearing and passive aggressive." I finished.

"Okay." He paused momentarily. "Do you know where Jennifer was the night of Tristen's murder?" He scribbled down some notes in the margins.

"At the party I think..." I mumbled, having little recollection of that nights minor events.

"Can you honk of any reliable alibis that may be able to vouch for her presence?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Okay. Well thank you for your cooperation, enjoy your evening." He let us out of the cramped dim room. Lucas finished up the conversation with the fellow detective collecting the folder. He made his way down the skinny hall tossing the file on his desk and grabbing my things. "Nice job cutie." He kissed my cheek. "So. That's it...they just wanted to know who she was.." I asked not moving. "Well she wouldn't talk. Only claimed you were responsible for putting her in that position, sounds jealous to me." He winked holding the back door open for me.

"Yeah. Okay." I hummed stepping into the dry, crisp air. "Coffee?" He suggested opening his car door beside my larger vehicle. "Oh, I have plans with Rose tonight. Make up sex and all, in the morning though." I winked and blew him a kiss. He stood there dumbfounded with one leg in the car. I laughed making my way to the ice cream shop that felt like a little piece of home. If I'm going to apologize, I'm doing it right. Dipped cones and heartfelt words.

After a ten minute drive the dipped cones slowly dripped into the tray, luckily my A/C kept it decently cold enough to eat. Sprinting up to her door carefully I reached my elbow up to ring the doorbell when the door swung open revealing a slender goddess in the cutest pink shorts.

"I'm sorry." We both chimed in sync. Two seconds later she took her dipped cone and we keeled over laughing like two idiots.

This. Is the kind of relationship I live for.