Eleven

"Am I seeing this right...or did I not sleep at all?" I furrowed my eyebrows walking into the casually swarmed police station. "Yep, maybe both sweetheart." Lucas kissed me cheek greeting me as I dropped my backpack and keys on his office chair. "Where's Hunter? Haven't seen him all week." I asked taking a sip of his coffee. "Ummm...home sick, I think." He sputtered. Deciding not to question the topic anymore I tuned into the conversation behind me. Mr. Zekes was only being taken in for the evidence Lucas pointed out. These officers were really stupid sometimes. Obviously the science teachers DNA would be on the vials, he works with them all day. "How's the family?" Lucas stared at the mystery board, fiddling with his favorite pen. "On vacation. Finally." I sighed trailing up behind him. I snaked my arms around his waist leaning my forehead on his strong shoulders. "So dinner at your place tonight?" He turned around smirking. I nodded looking up into his bright eyes.

"Detective." Sheriff Jonson cleared his throat. We both snapped our attention in his direction immediately separated ourselves. "Yes sir." He coughed. "Zekes is gone. I need new leads stat. Get out there." He barked eyeing me suspiciously. He noddedtrailijg his finger down my arm as he left. I walked around Lucas' desk to sit and start on my homework, but I couldn't focus. He sheriff stayed there leaning against the column wall. "Be careful young lady. You and hunter have been friends for years now, don't get into any trouble with the wrong crowd." He warned me as I unzipped my bag. Wrong crowd. What's that even supposed to mean, I spend all my free time here anyway. Rain and her new man Marcus are hitting it off, nobody ever hears from her. Harley and Toby are still at school, Rose gets back from vacationing tonight. Parker and I got into a pointless argument and Liana is...well, Liana. So my friend group has officially zeroed down to bare minimum. I nodded respectfully and checked the time. "One hour till Rosealine's flight landed. Using my pen I jotted down a note for Lucas on the sticky notes beside me:

See you later, key is under your cup. Bring a swimsuit.
XOXO -your little lion

Sticking the note on his folders I slipped out of the station unnoticed. I took my time enjoying the scenic route to the airport. As I neared the exit ramp I stopped, buying her some chicken nuggets and roses. 'I miss you my tiny chicken nugget.' I scribbled on the napkins in the bag. I leaned the seats back and turned up the radio resting my eyes. It was only five o'clock on a Friday evening, homework was pointless at this point in the year, my grades were in tip top shape. My best friend was coming home in half an hour and I had no worries. We both loved by one simple rule, never waste your time on cold feet. People tend to leave quickly, whether it's to continue their own lives or just out of plain ignorance. We know not to chase anyone who wanted to leave, I mean what's the point it only causes more stress for us.

I got lost in the memories of our friendship and morals when I heard the door beside me swing open. In a black and white crop top and adidas tights, Rosealine grinned from ear to ear, glancing at both me and the presents before her. She jumped into the passenger seat hugging me tightly and squeaked with excitement.

"Chicken nuggets, flowers and a girls night. You are such a babe." She dramatically awed.

"Well correct for the first two, but I've got a date night tonight. So it's more of an 'I hate you for leaving me for so long, I'll catch up with you later.' Kind of gift I smirked at her zooming off towards her home.

"So let me get this straight." She began. I groaned not wanting to continue the ride was already suspenseful and tiring as it is. "Parker is ignoring you because you called his girlfriend fake, Reilly left us for a boy she nearly killed. Toby and Harley are too busy for friends. And Liana is just living her life as the scholar." She ran through the summary. I nodded my head continuously pulling onto our street. "You do know hunter isn't sick right..." she muttered. I slowed the car turning to face her. "His insta says otherwise, he's been at the stationing the days you weren't." She passed me her phone after I parked in her driveway. "Wow. And here I thought he was the only other one who hadn't left us. Or me." I corrected myself.