Sixteen

After another hour of pointlessly explaining regression and unit circles we gave up. Luckily he dropped the whole discussion of exes, but I knew it'd come back someday. He sat silently concentrated on his work, I decided it was best not to bother him so I left to grab a coffee from the break room. To my surprise it wasn't only coffee there, but an entire party setup. Balloons, table decorations, cupcakes, beverages and gifts. The fellow police officers all froze as I walked through the door. "Not the birthday boy, we're all clear." A middle aged woman announced. She took long strides to come and meet me at the doorway. "Hi, Brooklyn PD. My name is Elizabeth everyone calls me Elle though." She happily stuck out her hand for me to shake. I gladly accepted smiling at the thick accent in her voice. "Hi, Allison. I'm just a friend of a few of the officers that work here, what brings you all the way from Brooklyn?" I asked pouring myself a coffee, talking to strangers normally wasn't so hard for me. As long as it wasn't so,e creep, or someone of high authority then things could get awkward. "Oh, don't act like you have no credit. We've heard all about you honey." She grinned from ear to ear as I carefully sipped the drink.

"Me?"

"Yes, darling. Not every girl gets to lock down the best in his class of the NY police academy. He heard about the small town murder and was the first one sent out on the job, he's an idol back at home." She explained giddily. "Lucas?" I stammered in shock. "Yes ma'am. We all came down to surprise him for his birthday. And between you and me." She leaned in closer.

"I heard our bosses talking about the FBI looking at his previous cases, each one of them successfully solved and stamped in three months time. So he may or ,ya not be looking at a major promotion, he's the best anyone's seen in years." She whispered. I stood quietly, astounded really. But I don't want him to leave, I never thought about it. What would happen after this case was solved, would he just pack up and go home? Or the FBI that's a promotion of a lifetime, nobody turns down the feds. "He's coming! Lights off!" She called out to the group of workers dragging me behind the table. Seconds later the door swung open and the lights flickered on.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" They all shouted in unity. Lucas smiled brightly scanning the face of crowds. The sheriff sauntered over patting him on the back. I watched from the sidelines as the young stud proudly accepted the gifts and reunited with his classmates. "Well hello there. Come here often." A smooth silky voice echoed behind me as I admired the painting presented as a gift. "Happy Birthday Detective." I smiled at him wrapping my arms around his shoulders. "Yeah, very happy indeed. Sorry I didn't tell you, everything's been really hectic at work lately with all the new leads and-" he explained letting his emotions get the better of him. I cut him off with a quick kiss, "Are you really explaining forgetting your own birthday. Just relax, loosen up the tie and celebrate a bit." I trailed my finger along his broad chest. "Will do. Want some cake?" He asked reaching over me. "Why is that even a question?" I laughed gladly taking the slice from him.

[~Lucas~]

Forgetting your own birthday seems pretty impossible, most people have countdowns. But I get so busy into work I just tend to forget the simple things. Seeing my friends, teachers and trainers was the best surprise ever. Even my dad and brothers came down to visit making me a little homesick. Everything was perfect but I couldn't help but notice Alli's distance from everything else. "Not a party person?" I asked wiping away some icing from her lips. She was too cute, it could kill you. "Oh no. I am, definitely am." She smiled down at her plate. "Then what's going on in there little lion." I tapped her temples. "We can talk about it later. Like I said you gotta focus on living up to your reputation now." She looked up at me. I noticed Ella staring over at us in awe. She used to tell me these little stories and wishes of how she always imagined me running off with a small town girl and living happily ever after. So when she heard about the case she pushed me into the waiting pool. And it looks like fate had its hand played out.

"My rep, huh?" I asked smirking. "Oh yeah, I hear you put down a mean concert." She played with the remaining icing on her plate. "Oh god you heard that story..." I heard my head down, burning with embarrassment. "Not all of it." She laughed lightly. Her laugh felt like music to my ears and my heart floated at the sound of her voice. I don't know what I'd do without her. "Hey rookie, we're going out for drinks after work, it's all on me. We can take the swat truck." The sheriff suggested. "Ah, you see sir. I don't think anyone would appreciate the sheriff wasting up a minor. Sets a bad example for your son." I chuckled quietly so nobody heard. "Oh yeah. Happy twentieth kiddo." He waltz out into the hallway returning his strict grumpy demeanor.

"You know. We could always head back to my place after work. Since your moms home." I tapped her knee under the table. "Maybe." She slyly smirked. "I'll be back." She trailed away leaving me with two of my best mates. I turned away for a few moments and felt the room go dark, the scent of sugary sweet intoxicating my nostrils. I couldn't breath my mouth was smothered in frosting. "Happy twentieth babe." Her lilac voice shouted, earning a loud snicker from my brothers around me. "Dude, Dad was right she's a keeper." Tyler laughed. I wiped the cake away from my eyes and rubbing it on the napkins. "Haha. Feel better now?" I shot her a glare. She shrugged plopping back down across from me. "These are my brothers, Tyler the second oldest." I pointed as he raised two fingers saluting her. "Lucien." I flicked a blob of frosting at him. "And the baby, Tony." I cooed earning a look of disgust.

"Nice to meet you guys." She smiled brightly. "Pleasures all mine," Lucien winked.

"We've heard a lot about you." Tyler nodded.

"Maybe too much." Tony snickered causing her to shoot a glance in my direction. I shrugged innocently. What could I say, she made me crumble.

[~Rosealine ~]

A heavy fist knocked at my door making me jump. I turned down the tv and slowly made my way to the impatient guest. "I'm coming, I'm coming." I yelled. "Well then, that was quick. It hasn't even been a second yet." Niko smiled holding up a white a shiny black flower pot. With a tall elegant purple orchid bursting up in vivid colors. I rolled my eyes at his dirty minded comment. "It's gorgeous shithead." I thanked him taking the precious plant. "Geez, you're welcome." He locked the door behind him.

"Does she hate me still?" He asked randomly, grabbing a bottle of water. "She never hated you, just the idea of us dating caught her a little off guard. But everything's good." I explained to him. "So we're dating." He raised his eyebrows smiling over at me. "Let's not put a label on it yet okay. I don't want to rush anything." I slid into the couch next to him. "Okay." He said hugging me. "Hold on I gotta take this." He pulled his vibrating phone from his pocket.  "Dad?" His eyes widened as the deep voice boomed through the phone speaker. "You're alive." He breathed, tears welling up in his eyes.