The Yule Ball

Lily's PoV:

"Harry! You didn't!" I exclaimed after finding him later that evening.

"I swear Lily, I didn't put my name in that stupid cup. Please tell me that you believe me." Harry said carefully.

"I'm... not sure that I couldn't, Harry... but you have to understand that this whole thing, this challenge, or whatever, could kill you." I said, trying to find the right words that wouldn't make him to angry.

"Thanks, L, and I know," he said, taking a seat on the couch. People were crowding around and begging for answers. I grabbed my brother's arm and led him out of the common room, away from the other students. Hermione followed close behind us, and Ron stayed in the common room. I led the two down the stairs and to the courtyard. We sat in the grass and talked about how to get Harry out of this. There was no way he would get out of this, he would have to study up on so many things in order to get on the same level as the other contestants. And then there was the Yule ball. Harry had completed the first two tasks by a narrow margin, and we were getting worried for him, as no one knew what the last task was. At least he and Ron were talking again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was walking down the hall to get to potions. The Golden Trio were walking in front of me, talking about who knows what. Hermione already had a date for the ball, while Harry, Ron and I all still needed dates. Secretly, I hoped that Draco would ask me to go with him. I know that no one in the trio likes him, but he made a bad first impression on them. They didn't really know him, but I did.

"Hey! L, can I talk to you for a second?" someone called from behind me. I turned to see Draco jogging to catch up with me. I smiled to myself. He didn't start talking again until he was next to me.

"You... wouldn't happen to have a date for the Yule ball yet, would you?" he asked, the words pouring from his mouth. It was clear that he was nervous.

"No, I don't. Do you?" I asked.

"Well, that's just the thing. I was thinking that we could go together." he said with a bit more confidence. 

"I'd love that!" I said. He smiled. We walked to class together. I didn't have a dress though. Later that night I wrote a letter to Narcissa, asking if she had anything for me to wear. Her letter back came with a package. I tore open the letter.

Dear Lily,

Of course I have something that you can wear.  I've sent the dress that I wore to my Yule ball. If it's not the right size a few quick spells can mend that. I hope you and Draco have a wonderful time.

-Narcissa

I waited until later that night to open the package. My friends gathered around me on my bed. I slowly ripped into the brown parcel, not wanting to accidently destroy something that definitely cost hundreds of Galleons. I saw a very light grey fabric. I pulled it out. There were little green gems on the bottom of the skirt. It was strapless and the skirt flared out towards the bottom. It was beautiful. I slid past my friends to the bathroom to try on the dress. It fit perfectly. It took it off before I left the bathroom and changed back to my normal clothes. I folded up the dress to place in the trunk. I left the bathroom.

"Why aren't you wearing the dress?" Hermione asked me.  The other girls left the room, apparently disappointed by the fact.

"Because I want it to be a surprise," I answered. I slept well that night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finished tying up Hermione's hair and stepped back to admire my work. 

"Wow... It's beautiful, L, thanks," Hermione said. I smiled. She looked at me and frowned.

"Isn't it about time you get yourself ready?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"I will after you leave," I said simply. I wanted to look like a princess, but I wanted it to be a surprise.

"Alright, fine," she said sighing. She pretended to be angry as she left. She looked over her shoulder at me and smiled before heading out. As soon as she was down the stairs I hastily changed into the gray dress. I had already worked on my hair and makeup. My red hair was curled and I wore light makeup, just enough to make a change. I headed out of the room to meet up with Draco. He was standing outside of the common room door. 

"Finally, everyone's been giving me weird looks," he said, not really looking at me. Then he was, he gasped.

"Wow, you look beautiful," he said, suddenly breathless. I smiled, giving him my arm to lead me downstairs. We talked a bit as we walked. We danced for most of the night before I walked Hermione back to our room after Ron had hurt her. She cried for awhile before she fell asleep. It had been a long night.