Chaper 14 - Mates

Hello friends. I hope you are enjoying this. As always your comments keep me going, even if they are brief. I am humbled by the response to this story. We made #2 in Reylo on Wattpad, really shocked.
Anyway, the heat is continuing, so if you are avoiding reading it, stop after "Take what is yours, Alpha."
I've been feeling a little bit blocked this week but don't worry, there's more to come.
Whoooooooooo.... wolf howls in joy....
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Rulf paced in his quarters. He glanced at the surveillance screen. They had mated. They were still tied together. That was good.

The question was, had they shifted first? He hadn't watched them too closely, he was only waiting for the shift, should they need assistance. He hadn't seen it but it could have been subtle. He needed to see what she shifted into. Was she like her mother or was she merely like him?

He ran his hands through his hair and let out a sigh. Even so, he didn't really want to watch his own daughter being mated, but they had to be watched for their own safety and he wouldn't allow anyone else to watch her. He knew an Alpha like Emperor Ren would never ask for help, especially not during his first rut with his mate.

Keeping the bloodlines pure was imperative. It was the only way to ensure the survival of the Hybrid race of Lycans. Bad breeding could result in a recurrence of the Death Dealer genes, the ones inherited by Alexander Corvinius's son Marcus. They were the vampire race that had almost wiped all of the Lycans out.

The other Descendant of Alexander Corvinius was William. His genes produced Lycan offspring, but much more ferile and uncontrollable than the Hybrid race. All Lycans were accepted into the pack of course, but the non-hybrids held a lower position in the hierarchy.

The Hybrids were descended from a third son of Alexander that had never been infected with Lycan or Vampire traits. Eve Corvin was his descendant and they had much more control whether they presented as wolves or more humanoid in form for their shifts. They were superior in intelligence, strength and abilities.

It was his duty as Alpha of the Galactic Pack to ensure the safety of all Lycans and to eliminate any with the vampire genes. To this end, he had instituted a breeding program for the pack. All mating pairs had to be genetically screened before the claim marks were given.

In most cases the true mate would naturally be compatible with the genes of the other true mate. However, in some cases they had to be separated or even sterilized. Some had fought to the death attempting to claim their true mates.

It was not something he was proud of. The unclaimed females were put into a program to find other compatible mates. There were those that opposed his laws, but he was the pack Alpha. He had to do what was best for the whole pack. They had to submit to him.

It was ultimately what had cost him his own true mate, Raina.

He got lost in his memories of her for a moment.

When he had recognized Raina as his true mate, she was so young. He had lived a hundred cycles already and she was only in her twenties.

The chemistry between them had been unreal. The moment he laid eyes on her, he knew she was the one. He saw her across a crowded room at a wedding celebration for another Alpha. She met his eyes and a look of shock and confusion crossed her face. She felt it too.

She was so beautiful dressed in an emerald gown with dark hair down to her tiny waist. He crossed the room in what seemed like an eternity and swooped her up as he carried her outside into the moonlight. She trembled in his arms as he carried her off.