[9] scared of love.

in order:

[ rompe by daddy yankee]

[ unlove you (90s version) by star cast]

______

SCARED OF LOVE.

"Here, try the gold one," I said, taking the shirt off the hanger and handing it to her.

"I'm starting to regret going shopping with you," Catalina grumbled as she grabbed the shirt from my hands.

"C'mon! This is the sixth store we've been to and you haven't bought anything yet. You're really starting to make me look bad," I said, gesturing to the six shopping bags by my feet.

She rolled her eyes before backing inside the dressing room. "Fine!" she conceded, closing the door and I smiled.

It had been four days since the breakup fiasco at Bane's house. We hadn't seen him since, as Oscar ordered and Cat was better than ever. Her smile was bigger, her eyes sparkled more. She even got a guy's number while we had been out shopping. She was happy, and I loved it.

I didn't even bother telling her it was my birthday.

I didn't bother telling anybody. As far as anyone knew it was just a regular day, and that's what I wanted. No annoying birthday buzz, no elaborate parties. Just me and my best friend out shopping. Still getting used to calling her that.

"How do you like it?" I asked.

The door opened, and an unamused Cat walked out. "It looks terrible on me. Just like the blue, red, orange, purple and white one did."

"Well, you need to buy something, Cat!" I argued, crossing my arms.

"Fine!" she threw her arms up. "I'll get a stupid graphic t-shrit from the shelves up front. Will that make you happy?"

I nodded, smiling. "Yes."

"Okay, come on."

I grabbed my bags from the floor and followed her towards the front of the clothing store. She picked up a random black shirt with some quote on it that I couldn't read entirely and stomped towards the register. We got in line behind a middle aged couple and waited for our turn.

I pulled my phone out of my pants pocket and looked at the screen to see there were no notifications. I sighed and slid it back inside.

"That's like the tenth time you've checked your phone since we started shopping, V," Cat noticed. "And for a girl who forgets to text people back every day, that's kind of odd. Qué pasa?"

I shook my head. "Nothing."

She smirked, tipping her head to the side, slightly. "Tu sabes, no eres un buen mentirosa."

"I'm not lying!" I defended, trying to sound convincing enough.

She crossed her arms and quirked an eyebrow at me. I sighed, throwing my hands up, exasperatedly.

"Fine," I said, shamefully. "It's my birthday and I was looking for a birthday text from my parents, but of course, there's nothing there."

I don't even know why I expected them to text me. They barely acknowledged it when I was with them. And since I had come here they hadn't called to check up on me once. Not a text, not a letter, not anything. I thought maybe they reached out to Oscar for updates, but something tells me that they haven't. If they hadn't contacted me, why the hell would they contact him?