[12] what we deserve.

WHAT WE DESERVE.

I couldn't sleep that night.

How could I?

Latrelle pulled a gun on Cesar and Monse. Getting your life threatened like that was serious shit. I could tell the two were shaken up, and I didn't blame them. Having a gun pointed at you would scare any grown adult, nonetheless, two fourteen year olds.

Apparently, Oscar didn't seem fazed by it as he slept soundly next to me. His soft snoring filled my ears all night as I tossed and turned.

Around eight I finally stepped out of bed. As I walked out of Oscar's room I stopped and stared at Cesar's closed door. I wanted to talk to him, and tell him everything would be okay. He probably didn't sleep all night either, and I just wanted to be there for him. After all, he was my brother.

I knocked lightly, waiting for a reply. A few moments passed and I heard nothing. I knocked again, saying his name this time. Still, nothing. I twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open. My eyes widened at the empty room that was not supposed to be empty.

I ran into the living and looked around. The only ones there were multiple Santos that Oscar had at the house as protection and look outs - which the sleeping men had miserably failed at. After studying their faces and not seeing Cesar among them I ran to the window. I scanned the front yard that was filled with more Santos, but yet again, Cesar wasn't with them.

I could feel my heart as it began to thump against my chest and rushed over to where Cisco was knocked out on the couch. His head was leaned back and his mouth was open as his arm hung off the side of the couch.

"Cisco! Cisco!" I shook him vigorously until he jumped awake. He looked around, quickly becoming alert.

"Santuario? Qué onda?" He sat up, his hand going to the gun tucked away in his pants.

"Dónde está Cesar?"  I asked, becoming more worried as each second passed.

"En su habitación," he answered.

I began shaking my head, tears filling my eyes as I ran back into his room. I looked around, looking for a note or any sign of a struggle.

Bad thoughts entered my head before I could even try to keep them out.

What if Latrelle or some more Prophets came to finish the job? What if Cesar did something stupid to try and get back at them? What if he was dead?

I was aggressively going through his bedside table when something caught my attention. The space next to the table was empty. The space where his backpack always sat.

The little idiot went to school.

I wiped my eyes, a weight lifting off my shoulders. I only felt a moment of relief before the weight was back. He wasn't supposed to be out at all. It was too dangerous.

I hurried back into Oscar's room and ran over to the bed as I began shaking him like I had Cisco. He bolted awake, sitting up with a start. He saw me and his eyes gave me a concerned look as his hand shot out to hold my cheek.

"Violetta, wh-"

"Cesar went to school!" I interrupted. There was no time to waste. The more time that passed was more time the Prophets had to find him.

Oscar's look quickly changed from worried to angry. He threw the covers off of him and stood out of bed. He went to his drawer and took out a grey t-shirt. He pulled it over his head, that he was shaking, disapprovingly.