11

Once they finished up, Jade waits for her friends and brother to be done and they all head back to the sleeping chambers. Jade and Miles were sitting on her bed, talking with Tris and Christina who sat on the bed next them. Al and Will were sitting on the edges of either beds. "'My whole body was covered in these little insects. They were in my ears, in my throat. I couldn't breathe." Christina describes one of her fears, "Yeah, I heard about this guy two years ago, he was so panicked he had a heart attack in his chair. He almost died." Al says. "What?" Christina asks in disbelief, "at least we got that to look forward to." Will joked, and everyone laughs.

"You, Tris and Miles don't seem to have any trouble at all." Christina says to Jade, "Us?" She asks looking over to Tris and her brother. "Oh no, it was horrible." She adds as the two of them nod in agreement, "Oh come on, no one even came close to your times. You three were amazing." Al says, and suddenly, Peter approaches the group. "Yeah what's amazing is one of them is gonna knock you right out of Dauntless." Peter laughs, directing his negative comment at Al. "None of them are gonna knock me out of Dauntless." - "Look, Jade's practically the MVP, Tris has gone from the worst to most improved, and Miles just seals the deal for you bud. Somebody's gotta take their rightful place at the bottom. And whose is it gonna be? You." Peter retorts. "Holy fucking shit, do you ever stop talking?" Chris asks Peter, "hey, I just wanna know how her and her little twin do it. You too Tris." He put his hands up in defense. "What's your trick Hippies? Stiff? Hm?" Peter asks them, "We don't have a trick Peter, we also don't have the time or patience for you and your irrelevant opinion." Jade answers, annoyed by Peters presence.

He scoffs, "Nobody gets through it that fast so why don't you tell us how you guys do it." Peter insists, Jade rolls her eyes. "At least tell your friends." He adds, and walks away. Al looks at Jade, "What's he talking about? Is there some way to make it easier?" He questions her. Tris shakes her head "No," she answers but their friends still look at each other unsure. "We're not doing anything special guys. You can trust us." Jade says, the next day Jade is called for second stage training again, but this time she was the first to be called in by Four.

Once under the hallucination, Jade finds herself standing in a semi-small room. Already feeling the sickness set in she realizes it was time for her fear of confinement. The walls begin to close in on her, and she begins to hyperventilate. She tried her best to keep the walls back with her legs and arms but it was no use, that is until she realized one flaw about this whole situation. It's fake. The moment she did the walls stopped moving, and she was now in a sitting position with her hands against the walls.

"This is just a simulation." She whispered to herself. She gently placed her hand on the right wall, and it began to move away with ease. She tapped on the left and the whole room began to widened, it opened up so far she could stand up straight. She smiles before she wakes up out of the simulation. And this time she doesn't wake up frightened at all, she just opens her eyes and slowly sits up. Four looks at her confused, "How'd you do that?" He asks her.

"I uh, .." she pauses, he turns to face her completely and crosses his arms. "I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I-I just did it." She answered, the shaking in her voice didn't help her in hiding the truth. "You just did it?" He asks rhetorically, as if he didn't believe her. He turns back around and presses something on the computer, and then pulls the metal stool just a tad closer to the chair Jade was sitting in. She hoped and prayed he wasn't about to ask of her aptitude test results.

"What were your test results?" He asks, "Your aptitude test?" He adds to clarify, Jade began to bite her nails. "Why do you wanna know?" She asks very carefully. It was obvious he didn't expect his question to be countered with another question, "Just answer the question Jade." He demands slightly irritated. It was the first time he had ever spoken to her like that. And taking that into consideration she decided to lie, remembering what her mom had told her.

'You can't trust anyone.' No matter if they happen to be someone you want to be able to trust. "Amity." She lies straight through her teeth, knowing all to well she got more then just her faction of origin. "Yeah, I don't think so." Four says unconvinced, "What?" Jade asks acting confused. "I think you're lying to me." Four says, looking straight into her eyes. "What makes you think I'm lying to you?" Jade asks with eyebrows furrowed, looking at her shoes.

Four does this laugh-scoff, "Well maybe it's because every since I've asked you the question you've started biting your nails, shaking your leg and avoiding eye contact with me. Now I'm gonna ask you one more time." Four leans in a tad closer to Jade, putting the fear into her heart. "What were your test results?" He asks again, she wants to give him what he wants but doesn't know whether she could trust him or not. She sits up and looks directly into his eyes, "Amity." She repeats herself and Four's expression fell into disappointment, irritation and amazement all in one. "Fine." He says, "You can go." He adds just before turning to face the computer. Jade hesitates but rises from her seat and makes her way for the door, just before she reaches for the handle Four calls her name.

"Just so you know, Dauntless don't get out of that particular situation like that. Nor have I witness someone wake up from the simulations like that either." He says, Jade has a look in her eye that screams for his help but all she does is take her leave. Jade decided to go see Tori in the tattoo parlor again. When she first steps into the parlor she couldn't help but look around at all the various tattoos. She spots the same tattoo panel that now lays permanent on her shoulder blade. She traces Amity's symbol once again and she continues to look around.

Some panels where the same and some where fairly new, she spots a very meaningful one and picks it up. It was a medium sized black design of four birds and a branch, two of the birds were sitting on the branch as the other two looked to be flying away. This design instantly made her think of her beloved family, the two birds on the branch represented her parents as the other two represented her and her brother. She tapped on the panel as she considered on getting this specific tattoo, and where it would look best. When she spots Tori she decided to get the tattoo, and also decided to have it done on the inside of her forearm horizontally.

She approaches Tori, and hands her the panel. Eventually Tori begins telling Jade something as she fired up the tattoo machine, "My brother was like you and your brother, during the second stage he got good really fast. Last day of the simulations one of the Dauntless leaders came to watch him." Tori tells her, then a saddened look appeared on her face. "The next morning we found his body at the bottom of the chasm. They got rid of him like he was nothing." She adds, fear and concern set in for her and her brother's well being. "Who did?" She asks, "Dauntless Leadership, you can't let them find out about you or your brother." Tori instructs, Jade looks down at the ground. "And what if they already know?" She questions picturing Four telling either Eric or Max of her brother and then of his suspicions of her as well, "Then you're already dead." Tori finishes, and peals off the tattoo machine to reveal Jades chosen design.