42

-December 2nd, 9:58 a.m.-

~Mile's POV~

I watch as Four begins chest compressions, just as my dark mist fades from surrounding Tris. She comes to and realizes what's happening, and, for a split second, a smile creeps up onto her face. She looks at me and changes her expression, ". . .Miles I- . . . I'm so sorry. I-I didn't mean,-" - "Save it! I don't wanna fucking hear it." I say, with a shake in my voice. I crawl over to my sister, and I notice water dripping from her mouth. I get an idea and gently pull her chin down, opening her mouth, "Tris," I start, "Either get out, or get the water out of my sister's lungs. Choose." I say, without looking at her.

Four continues his chest compressions, and I expect to hear the door open and close but, Tris quickly squat's down near my sister's head, rolling up her sleeves. She holds her palm inches away from Natalie's face, and she closes her eyes. The water begins to levitate out of my sister's throat and mouth but, she doesn't gasp for air as expected. I begin to tear up, and Four stop's his compressions, and moves to holding her nose and blowing air into her mouth. He stops, and goes back to pressing down onto her chest.

I look up at him, and he's obviously panicking, and he's getting tired. "Switch off," I say, and he stops, and I take over. "Come on Nat," I say, continuing compressions just as Four did. "Wake up," I say, becoming desperate. The thought of my sister fills my mind as I keep going.

I remember the day she lost her necklace back on Amity. I remember watching her laugh as Ben chased her into the forest. Her smile was wide, and the sound of her laugh warmed my heart, even though I could barely hear it that day. Tears fall from my eyes, I can't lose her. I can't go without hearing that laugh again.

I just can't. And just to think I was about to fight her moments ago, just because of Tris, because of a secret my younger brother told me. I gasp, remembering when I left Lauren and his apartment earlier. He told me about Tris and the serum and I jumped up, running out the door. He yelled something just before I was out of earshot, and I realize he yelled it for this exact moment.

I stop, and look up at Four. He was already crying, running his hands through his hair. "Four, shock her heart." I tell him, wiping the wetness from my face. "That's exactly what caused this! I did this!" - "Yeah, well, you can undo it! Now shock her again goddammit!" I yell, and he jumps a little at my voice. He comes back over, and places his hand in the middle of her chest.

He curls his fingers a little, and my sister's chest jolt's up once. I put my fingers to her neck, trying to feel for her heartbeat. Still nothing, "Again," I say, and he nods at me. I keep my fingers there and he makes her jolt again. I get one small, precious rhythmic beat.

"I felt it! Do it again!" I tell him, and he doesn't hold back. He shocks her again, but harder. She jolts one more time and the next thing we hear is a gasp for air. I fall back from being on my knees and sit on the floor, trying to catch my breath along with my sister. I look up, watching Four press his forehead to her's, holding her like his life depended on it.

Seeing them like that reminded me of Tris, and how I'd always do that just to be able to look into her eyes. I look over at her, since she stayed in the room. My heart breaks all over again when I notice she's looking at Four and my sister, with pain all over her face.

~Jade's POV~

I gasp for air, and open my eyes. I'm faced with Tobias, hovering over me with a wet face. He begins cradling me, and presses his forehead to mine. What just happened? Why am I soaking wet?

More importantly, why is my head pounding? I stare into those beloved chocolate brown eyes that I've grown to love, "I thought you were gone. I-I was so scared." Four says to me softly, and I remember the last thing I saw before I fell unconscious. I saw Tris, holding me up with her new water ability, trying to drown me. Trying to end me. And it's becoming apparent that she almost succeeded.