5

After the blonde cougar of a councillor was officially shooed away, Marley felt more relaxed. She did owe Aiden one, after all. He had defended her against Jordan, and she appreciated that.

There was goodness in Aiden Matthews, and she was beginning to think it was rare and difficult to dig up once you found it.

When they sat down, Gabby had managed to hook her arm around Marley's. They'd lost each other temporarily, but now Marley was sitting between her and Aiden.

When she felt something pulling at her ponytail, grabbed at her head to see it was already gone and her dark brown hair was falling around her shoulders in soft curls. A warmth closed around her head, so Marley glanced at Aiden in confusion to see him running his hands through his newly exposed head of dark, messy hair. Lifting her hands, she felt the soft fabric of his hat on her head, flipped backwards. She felt like the action was...comforting. Almost quietly protective.

She didn't mind it in the slightest, not when Aiden gave her a generous view of his silky hair and his bicep lifting to fix it. He didn't even look at her, but he twirled her black elastic around in his fingers. She felt a flush blossom on her cheeks and her skin prickle with warmth, but all swooning for him was gone when he stretched the band between his fingers and shot it past her and Gabby straight onto Leo's forehead.

Typical Aiden Matthews.

"Fuck!" Leo shouted, flinching backwards and rubbing his forehead, "What the hell Aiden!" He glowered when he heard Aiden laughing at his expense.

Marley shot him an unamused glare, "Aiden!"

He leaned back on his hands, his eyes meeting hers before scanning over her head. To his hat, to her hair, and back to her face. He had a goofy grin on his lips, "The guy is a dick. He deserves it," he shrugged.

She blushed under his stare, under his attention.

But her eyes caught on something black whizzing past Aiden's ear. Beside him, another jock dude cursed, rubbing his cheek.

"If it's any consolation," Leo began, "I wasn't aiming for you, Daniels."

"I will consolate your face you asshat," he fumbled for the elastic, pulling it backwards.

"Stop him, Aiden!" Marley said frantically, "it's going to be an all-out war!"

"Only because I'm in the doghouse," he sighed like it was such a chore to stop causing trouble rather than start it — for once in his life.

"Hey! Hand it over!" Aiden demanded, but it fell on deaf ears as Marley's elastic went flying past them again.

This time, it hit a guy about five people away from them. Marley scrambled to her feet quickly, needing to stop this before she lost one of two elastics she had, and she was responsible for yet another crazy issue.

The redhead was glowering at the guy who hit him, his hands closing around the elastic in his lap.

"Stop," Marley pleaded, falling in front of him and reaching for the elastic in his hands, "That's mine. Can I have it back?" She asked gently, trying to coax her way into him returning it instead of enacting revenge.