37

The photos of Dalton King's house didn't do his actual mansion any justice.

After a 45 minute ride — which included Leo and Sarah's PDA, Bree and Jason's heated discussion about whether or not Frank Gallagher is redeemable, Kelly and Ryan once again playing twenty questions about everything down to that Ryan had a hamster named Davie when he was 5, Alec and Brendan's discussion on fantasy football, Gabby's nap, and Aiden winning a Words with Friends game against Marley (which she would feel peeved about for a while) — they entered the gated community, giving their names while the security guard checked Alec's ID.

"What is your relationship to the people in this car?" He droned, his eyes scanning the back seats and not settling on one person for too long.

"We're all friends," Alec spoke up from the passenger seat.

"What is your relationship with the Kings'?"

"We were invited to his...get-together." Alec stuttered, for a good reason considering that a security guard probably wouldn't be impressed to hear that they're headed into a teenage party with drunk, rowdy minors.

Marley glanced behind the seats from under Aiden's arm to see a lineup of cars already idling behind them. She twiddled her fingers in nervousness because even though a nearly drunk Leo was sitting in the back seat if they were asked to check the car...

"How long are you planning to stay?"

"Probably until midnight," Alec replied.

The guard grunted and stepped away, "As long as you're out of the gates by 2:00 am at the very latest. At that time they close for the night. There will be no entry or exit of any kind. Don't begin driving until the green light flashes and the divider is all the way open."

"Dudes nicer than our guy." Leo grunted from the back as the gate light flashed green and their driver slowly inched them over the speed bump, "anyone who wants out has to be by midnight at our place."

When Marley put the pieces together, her eyes widened to saucers, "You guys you live in a gated community?!"

Aiden let out a loud sigh as if disappointed that she knew, "Yeah-"

"So your house is as big as these?" She gestured out the window she was next to, pointing at the giant, million dollar homes of various styles they passed on an incline up a hill.

"Bigger than these." Leo snorted, unimpressed as if the houses here were simple tool sheds compared to the way they lived back home.

Marley knew the both of them had wealthy families — Leo drove a red Ferrari to the school the morning they left for camp, and they were both known to be well-off back at school — but seeing homes like theirs in person and connecting it to them was staggering.

Aiden's arm tightened around hers, "Can you stop, Leo?" He snapped through a tight jaw.

Marley placed a hand on the one hanging over her right shoulder to calm him, "It's fine. I'm not judging or anything. My life is so...well, not this."

Aiden's eyes locked on hers with softness, and as his routine, refusing to let her hand go to intertwine their fingers. Her cheeks warmed on their own accord, so she looked away from him and back out the window, too fascinated by such a prestigious, unattainable lifestyle.

"What's your home like?" He asked gently. Marley was glad he couldn't see the sudden panic all over her face.

"We get by," she replied curtly, hoping to stop this particular conversation before it could start.

After a few minutes of silence, his hand tightened around hers, "What does your room look like? I can't imagine it being very..."

Marley turned to look at Aiden again, with a raised eyebrow, "Feminine?"