32

"I don't like this."

"You've said that about seven times and we've been here three minutes. Can you chill? They provide protective gear." Ian rolled his eyes.

"That doesn't mean it's not painful!" Aiden stressed, running a hand through his hair and squeezing Marley tighter against him.

She let out a loud sigh, "Are you scared of a few tiny bruises, Aiden? Do you need some money to play in the arcade while the big kids go paintballing?"

"Sure, it's me I'm worried about. And like I'd leave you to fend for yourself in there."

They were now standing in the paintballing arena Dylan and Ian found walking to the beach yesterday. It was the size of a hockey area — professional and legit.

Walking into the glass double doors you wouldn't assume the size of the building. Entering the cool, well-lit space, Marley was met with a large waiting area on the right side with protective gear hanging on racks, and people of all ages bustling around. Some were half dressed in the black, sleek body pads, and others were parents or bystanders loitering by two large rows of dark grey lockers. There was a counter with a couple employees wearing matching black shirts, the register ringing as they processed new orders.

The floor beneath their feet was concrete, but a carpet was spread out on the left side of the room where a conventional arcade could be found. Classic games and pinball machines glowed brightly and noisily, as a younger demographic rushed between machines with handfuls of pale yellow tickets. A basketball bounced out of the protective metal cage and to the floor behind the net, and a young blonde girl rushed to grab it with a battle cry before the time could run out. Gun sounds blared as girls and boys alike shot plastic triggers at the screens. Race car sounds could be heard as well, from the race car booths. There was a long counter against the far wall with small prizes and large ones, including a life-sized, soft looking stuffed grey teddy bear for 50,000 tickets. It had a light pink bow tied around its neck and looked super cuddly.

It was also huge.

"Can we go to the arcade after?" Marley asked absentmindedly, her eyes still locked on the hanging bear. She's always wanted one of those.

"Or in general." Aiden said from beside her, "We don't have to do the paintballing at all. Don't feel pressured. We can go play the games..." he trailed off, slowly but surely trying to move them away from the lineup.

Marley didn't resist for a few seconds, her eyes still locked on the teddy bear, but as soon as she realized what he was doing, she shoved herself out of his hold and crossed her arms, "I want to do this. If you don't, that's up to you."

She's never gone paintballing before, but it sounded like laser tag on crack. They'd be in an 'apocalyptic style' arena with 20 other people, divided into two equal teams. Obviously, Marley's heard that being hit isn't pleasant, but she wanted the experience anyway. Dylan and Ian were standing silently beside them in line, watching their exchange and seeming entertained.

"You've never done it before, have you?" He asked quietly.

She frowned, "No, but you have, right?"

"A bunch of times, Marley. It's not all fun and games. It's painful, too."

"But the pain is nothing compared to how fun it is, clearly by the way all these people are doing it too. Aiden, I want to do this." she waved an arm at the people behind them in line for emphasis.

"Do you realize how your conversation sounds or is it over your heads right now?" Dylan spoke up with a snicker, earning an elbow jab from Ian.

Once Marley played back the last minute of their conversation in her head few times, her cheeks flamed, the blush creeping all the way down her neck.