17

"Denial is like a sour patch kid. First, there's this sweet, delicious flavour on your tongue, but it quickly disappears, leaving only sour burning in your mouth. But it tastes good at first — that's why you always go back for more." -JH

Marley has experienced denial so many times that it doesn't even work for her. She can't avoid things. She can't distract herself. She faces things head on now, and usually 'things' is about her father.

"I insist, Marley. Seriously. There's nothing you can do from there and anything you left for the bills is depleted."

"I can't ask you to do that, Bryan. That's too much." Marley chewed on the tip of her thumb, watching Gabby roll to her side and lean on her elbow to look at Marley with concern.

"You can't come home to an eviction notice, Marley. Your belongings are all there. I'd be more than happy to help you out."

Marley wanted nothing more than to tell Detective Bryan that she could handle it. That he didn't need to worry about her and her problems — he has a son and a wife who broke her leg recently. He doesn't need another burden.

But she can't do it alone.

Marley's father isn't working in the factory anymore. He's behind bars until the trial for his DUI charges. Marley's not working for the next three months either, and whatever money she had saved for bills was gone. Marley told Brian exactly where she left her secret stash of cash this morning, and her father took it.

There was about $700 in that stash, and somehow, he found it. She buried it in the corner of her backyard under a bush that hasn't been touched or walked near in years, and he still managed to sniff it out. Her father can be extremely resourceful when it comes to finding money for his next trip to the liquor store.

It was 7:00 am on Friday morning. She and Gabby got up early to do their laundry, because 1) the laundry cabin has no air conditioning and becomes unbearable during the days and 2) the laundry cabin is busy all hours, except for early school mornings because nobody would dream of being awake at this time.

Detective Bryan called her a half hour ago and drove over to her place to check on it. Marley reassured him that there was extra money that should cover rent and utilities for the rest of the trip — her and her father's house is in shambles in a cheap neighbourhood — but before her father was locked up, he stole $700 from her.

What a role model she has.

"Okay," Marley said finally, her voice low as she picked the grass in big clumps, "you're right. But I'm paying you back. Every cent."

Bryan chuckled softly, "I knew you'd say that. And as much as I wish I could tell you not to worry about it, I understand that it's important to you to reimburse me. We can work something out. No pressure."

Marley exhaled, her body relaxing. The idea that $700 of her hard earned money was down the drain would sit with her for a while, but it wasn't the end of the world. He's done worse. He's said worse.

She will move through it. She will keep going. She will always, always survive him. Marley's one motivation for getting through all of this is that she can prove him wrong. She is so much more than her father and his small, sad world.

She is so much more than this.

Gabby nudged her, pointing at her phone. Gabby set a timer on her phone for when their loads of laundry would be finished, and it had gone off. Marley stood when Gabby did, and they both brushed off any grass or debris on their bare legs.