45

"You're moping."

"I'm not moping."

"I call this laying in your bunk, hugging the teddy bear he got you and pouting —moping. What's your definition?"

"Not this, because, I'm. Not. Moping."

"If you weren't my best friend I'd call you childish...oh wait..."

"If you weren't my best friend I'd call you annoying...oh wait..."

"Shut up." Gabby chortled, swiping her pillow from under her head and swinging it to Marley's bunk. She yelped when it hit its destination: the side of her head.

When the door to their bedroom opened, Tristan strolled in with the bag of plain Lays potato chips she purchased at CVS. She kicked the door behind her, but it remained ajar. Her hazel eyes narrowed on Marley. She cocked her head sideways.

"Why are you moping?"

"Oh my god!" Marley shrieked as Gabby burst into laughter above her, "I'm. Not. Moping!"

She rose from her bunk and shoved Lovebear mini into its far crevices as to never be seen again, deciding to change for something to do with herself. Not that she had to get fancy for the carnival, but putting on a dress was better than what she was doing, wallowing. Moping.

When they arrived back from the mall, Marley had already checked her phone a dozen times. Her 'I love you' text was left un responded, and when the girls went in search for Leo and the other guys, found them playing football at the football fields —Aiden's scene.

But he hadn't texted her or called to confirm plans about the carnival. Did he want to go with her?

With that question in her mind, she probably did look like she was moping.

Taking a deep breath and forcing it from her mind, she dug through her and Gabby's wooden armoire for something to wear. Deciding on a light blue, silk dress with a petal skirt she bundled it in her arms. Tristan was now sprawled in her bed still chomping loudly on potato chips while Gabby had her back against the wall in hers, a logic book in her hands.

"Everybody still at the mess hall?"

Tristan spoke through her mouthful, "Yeah but they're ready to go. Leo ordered the Uber."

Marley's eyes widened, "How much time do I have?"

"It's gonna be here in 20, but that's not why I'm here."

Marley's hand froze on the bathroom door handle. Tristan sounded...nervous. She turned to face her friend, who was sat on top of her bed on the bottom bunk, cross-legged over her red quilt. She had her bag of Lays in her lap and was wearing light washed, ripped jeans on her legs and an over the shoulder plum, knit sweater. It was getting cold enough for that kind of attire — Marley planned on wearing her knee-high socks and boots, as well as a jacket to keep warm.

She brushed her hair over her right ear, hazel eyes looking everywhere else but at Marley.

"What is it?" Marley demanded, striding up to her friend and crossing her arms.

"It's not a big deal." she finally had enough courage to look up at Marley, her lower lip between her teeth, "But...Jason knows about Mr. Richardson."

She blinked, stumbling backwards.

"How did Jason find out?" Gabby snapped from across the room, as betrayed and furious as her best friend.

"Relax." Tristan held greasy hands up in surrender after she popped another chip into her mouth, "Bree and Sarah were talking about it, and Jason overheard. He's not going to say anything."