Chapter 3

True to his word, 3 weeks later, Jacen appeared on the Report to announce the names of the 16 young ladies who would be participating in his Selection. He started by restating the chosen provinces, and then had an stagehand bring over the pile of envelopes with the 16 ladies' names. 

"All right Illea. The moment you have all been waiting for. The names of the 16 young women who will come to the palace in almost 2 weeks time, and compete for my hand." He squared his shoulders and turned to the envelopes. They were in order the provinces were chosen, but Jacen still announced the provinces. 

"First, from Angeles, Kimberly Watson. From Allens, Lacey Jennings. From Calgary, Josephine Warren. From Carolina, Amberly Jacobs. From Kent, Carlee Woods. From Yukon, Emmalina Wheal. From Hudson, Nikki Todd. From Midston, Kelly Whites. From Honduragua, Jenna Prairie. From Sota, Malia Riley. From Fennley, Janessa Williams. From Columbia, Christine Amber. From Panama, Emily Tinns. From Ottaro, Jayla Kels. From Belcourt, Hayley Garner. And lastly, from Clermont, Celeste Princeton." Jacen said.

"Ladies, if I called your name tonight, advisors will be coming to your houses in the next week to prep you for your journeys to the palace." Jacen said. He then turned to his parents, and his father stood up, joining him at the center. 

"For those of you who may remember, I came into the Selection, not as a suitor for Princess Eadlyn, but as a translator for Henri Jaakoppi, one of the Selected. I have seen first-hand what being Selected can do to a person's life, status, and privacy. So ladies, I come to you to tell you this, not as your Prince, but as a person with firsthand experience and insight into this competition. Enjoy your last few days as a regular citizen. Enjoy your anonymity, your way of life, your normal. Because when the advisor's come and you get swept away to the palace, there is no way that your life will ever be the same again."

"Thank you father." Jacen said. Then, he continued. "Illea, I thank you for your support throughout the years, and I hope you will continue to support me in what I am sure will be an incredibly happy time for me and my family.  Ladies, congratulations on being Selected, and I am very excited to meet you all in 2 weeks. Until then, good luck with preparations! Thank you Illea, and good night!!"