Chapter 32- Amberly's POV

I wake up in the hospital wing of the Palace, groggy and disoriented, and wondering why I am here. Then it all comes rushing back. The announcement that never happened. Jacen almost got out the name. I was almost put out of my misery. I knew without a doubt that it wouldn't be me. I knew that Celeste had him wrapped around her finger. And I was happy for her. I just wish he could've sent me home already. All I am doing is taking up space and making his decision harder. But alas, I can't go home without being sent home. And obviously, Prince Jacen wants me here, or else he would have sent me home a long time ago. 

My mind travels to the weird plate exploding, my vision going foggy, my head beginning to pound, and my body shutting down. Then, black. And then waking up. That horrible feeling of waking up after you have been sick. But, worse. Like trying to wake up everything again. You're head, your legs, arms, lungs, mouth, everything. 

I let out a small groan, and flopped back on the bed after trying to sit up to grab the cup of water on the bedside table. A nurse rushes over to see how I am doing. Once I answer a few questions, she leaves to go tend to other patients. I can't tell how many people are injured because the curtains are drawn around the beds. 

After about 20 minutes, I can finally move my legs and decide to venture out to go find a restroom. When I peer out of my curtains, I stifle a gasp. Every curtain I can see is drawn, and there a beds for the people least injured, as far as I can see, in the middle. I guess that people with worse injuries or conditions have their own curtained off areas. 

I walk down the hall towards what I hope is a bathroom when I see Celeste. She has her curtain partially open and is drinking water. 

I peek into her area and when she sees me, she smiles. 

"Amberly! How are you doing?" She asks. 

"I- I'm fine, thank you. And yourself?" 

"I am doing great." She flashes me a big smile, and I can see why Jacen likes her. Besides being a snotty bitch sometimes, she can actually be nice. "I am just getting myself accquainted with the pillows, sheets, and mattress. So that later, I can tell my pillow, sheets, and mattress in my room what they are missing." She says this with such dry sarcasm that I have to laugh. I don't even know what is funny about the statement, but the way she said it was funny. 

"Um, do you happen to know where the bathroom is?" I ask, suddenly feeling timid. 

"Yeah. It is down that way." She points back in the direction opposite of the way I am going.

"Thanks." I say. "Do you happen to know where Carlee is?" 

"I think she is in her room. I think she only has a cough from the smoke." Celeste says.

"Okay, thanks." I say, before stepping backs.

I walk back down the way I came, passing many curtained off areas. I can see that they all have names on the outside. All of the ones I pass, I don't recognize, so I just keep walking. Once I reach the bathroom, I do my business, wash my hands, splash water on my face, and spend a few seconds standing there. I feel a lot better than when I left my area, so when I go back, I press the button for a nurse. 

The nurse comes in, and I say, "I feel much better. How long until I can leave?" 

"If you are feeling better, Miss, you can leave now. Would you like some meds to bring for later?" 

"Yes, please." I say. 

"One minute, and then you can go." The nurse leaves, and when she comes back a minute later, she has a bag in her hands. She hands me the bag, the says, "You are good to go." 

"Thank you." I say, then walk out. On my way out, I run straight into Prince Jacen. 

"Sorry!" I say, immediately feeling bad for not paying attention.

"No, no. It was partially my fault. I was not watching where I was going." Jacen said. 

"If I might be so inquisitive, why are you going to the infirmary, Your Highness?" 

"I wanted to speak with the nurse caring for my father."

"Oh!" I say. "What happened to your father?"

"Nothing much." Jacen sasy. "He just got smoke in his lungs and has a coughing fit every few minutes." 

"That's horrible!" I say. 

"And my mother is at his bedside every waking hour." Jacen says. "I am acting as regent until they are both well enough to resume work." 

"How long has it been since..." I ask. 

"It has been two days." Jacen says. 

My head suddenly hurts, and I can feel a throbbing pain. It must show on my face, because Jacen says, "Amberly, are you okay?" 

"Yes. Would you help me to my room? That is, unless you need to go speak with the nurse?" 

"That can wait." Jacen smiles. "Of course I would go with you Amberly." 

I take a few steps, but my head hurts and I can't see straight. Jacen comes over and picks me up and says, "I'll carry you." 

"Am I not too heavy?" I inquire, concerned that he will not be able to carry me up the stairs.

"You are the perfect weight." He says, and with that, he goes up the stairs. He takes me into my room and lays me down on the bed. 

"Need anything before I go?" He asks. 

"No, thank you." I respond. 

He takes a few stes towards my door, before turning back to face me. "Feel better, okay?"

"Yes, sir." I say, jokingly. 

He steps outside, and as he is closing my door, he says, "Sweet dreams Amberly."