Chapter 12

Jacen got up the day after he eliminated 6 girls and sat at his desk, a million thoughts running through his head. In just 1 week, he had narrowed what seemed like a million girls (in reality, only 16) down to 10. Now, it seemed like he had barely any choices. He was confused, and decided to do the one thing that would help him understand. He walked to his mother's study where he knew she would be. Luckily, his father was there as well, and he asked to see them in one of the empty parlor's for more privacy. He also sent for a butler to bring their breakfast into the parlor. Once they finished eating, Queen Eadlyn looked at Jacen and said, "Was there a specific reason you called us in here to eat breakfast? Or what it just because you wanted to eat with us?" 

Jacen took his time chewing the rest of the food in his mouth, before looking up at his mother. When he did, he made the mistake of giving in to the pleading in her eyes, wondering what was wrong. His posture broke, his face crumpled, and before he knew what was happening, he was fighting the urge to cry. Queen Eadlyn came over and gave her son a big hug, before turning him so that he was forced to look at her. She said, "Honey, what's wrong?"

Jacen took his time answering, starting maybe 5 sentences before deciding on one that worked to describe what he was feeling. "I felt like at the beginning, I had too many choices and I felt overwhelmed. Now, with only 10 choices, I feel like I don't have enough choices."

"Okay..." Queen Eadlyn started. "Well I have a question. Does it make you feel any better to know that I went through this once too? I eliminated 10 the first day, then after my mother had a heart attack, I eliminated so many that I only had 6 left. I went from like 15-20 down to 6. Imagine my surprise when I found that none of my 6 Elite were right for me. I ended up marrying the translator of one." She gave Eikko a loving look before continuing. "So, if you ever need anything from me, I'm here. I went through the same thing you are going through. And if you really feel like you can't talk to me, your grandfather Maxon, who also had his own Selection. You are not alone in this. This is the 6th Selection Illea has had, and apart from the 2nd Selection, they ended up amazing."

Jacen thought for a second, then said, "What happened in the 2nd Selection?"

"Oh," Queen Eadlyn said, laughing. A young lady named Abby Tamblin won. She married and became Abby Tamblin Illea, but after 3 years, her husband died. She then married her husband's cousin, Porter Schreave. They had your great-grandfather, Clarkson, but they were always fighting. So that one was a dud, so to speak." 

"Oh." Jacen said, sounding small. "What if that happens to me?" 

Queen Eadlyn looked at him with the utmost sincerity in her eyes. "That won't happen to you because you are the nicest, kindest, most loving person on the planet. And as for dying after 3 years of marriage, people say Abby poisoned her husband. If you find a wife who really loves you like Maxon loves America, and I love your father, everything will be fine. Don't worry about it." Queen Eadlyn leaned over,  and gave Jacen a kiss on the forehead. They sat for a few moments, Jacen lost in thought, and Eadlyn and Eikko looking on, concerned. Finally, Jacen looked up, and Eadlyn could see the determination that replaced the confusion and stress. She stood up, gave Jacen a big hug, then walked out of the room. Eikko looked at Jacen like he wanted to say something, then decided against it, instead settling for a pat on the shoulder. He too walked out.

Jacen sat back down in his chair, feeling slightly relieved, but still left with more questions than answers.