Chapter 4

Crown Prince Jacen Schreave sat down to dinner Friday evening after announcing the names of the 16 young ladies competing in the Selection. He came in a few minutes late after stopping In a bathroom to take some time to compose himself. After bowing towards his mother and father, Jacen took his seat next to his mother, across from his father, while gazing forlornly at the extra, empty tables in the dining room. He was trying to commit the image of emptiness to his memory, because in almost 2 weeks, 16 eligible ladies would enter his house. And his life. 

While Jacen was picking at his food and getting lost in his own thoughts, his mother's voice snapped him back to reality. 

"Jacen, love?" Queen Eadlyn said. "Are you okay?" She reached over and touched his arm, drawing his attention to her.

"Yes, Mother. Why do you ask?" Jacen said, continuing to pick at his food.

"You seem down today. Anything bothering you?" Eadlyn continued.

"No, I'm good." Jacen responded, although he knew, and he knew that she knew, that he was not good.

"Are you absolutely sure?" The queen pressed, sensing her son's unhappiness.

"Yes I'm fine!!!!!" Jacen declared loudly. All actions in the room ceased for a moment as the butlers and maids and everyone else thought about what he said. Queen Eadlyn and Prince Eikko looked at each other, then resumed eating. Jacen, seemingly embarrassed from his outburst, signaled a maid, then turned to his mother. "I think I will take dinner and dessert in my room tonight. Goodnight Father. Goodnight Mother."

Jacen turned to the maid and addressed her as well. "Please bring the rest of my dinner to my room. Thank you." Jacen bowed towards the head table, then retreated up the stairs. Once he was gone, Prince Eikko turned towards the Queen with a questioning look in his eye. She returned his look with  a small nod of the head, and then they both excused themselves from the table and walked towards the stairs leaving the remainder of their dinners, and the events of that day behind.