Episode 23

Chapter 23

"The number you have dialled is currently switched off"

Sasha carefully looked at the president's expression which was very foul and carefully added: "The secretary has not come to work for over a week now."

And for this one week, the president seemed to be occupied with thoughts about Ragini's cousin Kavya, and so had not even realized her absence.

"Who approved of her resignation? Go and call me the human Resource manager!"

Manager Seth stood shivering before the president: "The secretary brought in her resignation letter almost two months ago. She followed all the due processes required for an acceptable resignation. This is a copy of her resignation letter." He tried to explain himself as he handed Ragini's resignation letter to him.

"Are you not aware that every resignation letter needs my approval before it is processed?" The president barked at him.

"Yes I'm aware! But the secretary said she had your approval and I dared not doubt her since she is a senior member of this company"

"Out! Go to the Finance department to get your salary for this month, you can leave, you are dismissed"

"But sir, you cannot do this to me, I have been working here for the past 35 years ..."

"I can! Now, get out. You can also get a three-month salary, and this quarter's assessment."

Laksh got into his car and drove straight to the house.

"Bang" he kicked open the door, which came crushing down with a loud sound.

There was still a trace of her scent in the room but there was no sight of her. He opened the closet and checked all the drawers, her clothes and everything else was gone.

He clearly felt her absence, Ragini was really gone.

He dialled her number... "The number you have dialled cannot be reached"

He totally felt lost.

Getting into his car, he speed off in the direction of Kavya's residence

He arrived in less than 25 minutes. He couldn't even believe how fast he was himself.

"Laksh honey, how are you doing?"

"Where is she?" Laksh hurriedly asked.

"Who?" Kavya was a bit confused.

"Your sister, Ragini!" Where is she? Come out! "

Kavya replied "Did you come by because Ragini did something wrong? Don't be angry with my sister......." there was a slight hint of irritation in her voice.

"Ragini? Ragini? You get out here! I know you're in there! "Laksh now turned around to look at Kavya. He had been so preoccupied with looking for Ragini that he hadn't even given her a moment's glance.

Kavya felt very insignificant at the moment, but she covered it up by saying, "Don't worry Laksh, my sister has not returned to this house but I'm sure she is fine"

"What! She is not here, then where could she possibly be?"

Laksh tried to think but realized he couldn't think of any other place, he really knew nothing about this woman he had been living with for three whole years.

"Call me when your sister returns" he told her as he hurried out of the building.

He didn't not notice the resentment and despise that was written all over Kavya's face.

......

Laksh had been busy all day. He returned home to meet a still empty house. A trace of her scent was still evident but the person herself had totally disappeared. Not feeling like staying inside alone, he stepped out to get a drink.

'The night' was crowded as usual. Laksh got himself a seat and immediately ordered a drink. He drank glass after glass of alcohol until he was totally wasted. A group of people sitting at a table whispered among themselves, this was the first time they had seen Laksh like this.

Nikhil, Micky and Rajat joined him at the table. One of them whispered, "He's like this because of a woman, I heard Ragini left him"

Laksh drunkenly shouted "who told you that? I'm drinking because I'm happy. I'm happy that despicable woman has finally left my life. I have been trying to get rid of her for several years now, and finally she is gone. I am extremely overjoyed."

"Are you sure about that?" Nikhil asked

"No regrets?"

"Absolutely no regrets!" Laksh answered back

"Let's drink to that, Cheers!"