1. Dream

It hurt to see mother this sick. She is in pain. I had been taking care of her so long now, but it was still horrible to see her like this. She was the only family I had left. I touch her forehead to feel if the fever had gone down. She is lightly cooler than earlier today. She had been like this for days maybe weeks. She couldn't get up from the bed and was really tired. She slept most of the day, but kept waking up from time to time.
I place the class of water from my hand on top of the nightstand and give a small kiss on my mother's cheek. She will be alright I convince myself.
Tonight I will have to make my one and only dream come true. I take a deep breath and look at my mother's old wedding dress. The dress is light blue and has a beautiful white lace trimming. It's the only dress in this house that is beautiful enough to wear at the ball. The only dress that looks expensive.
I know my mother made this dress and that it's really important to her. It reminds her of the good times my father was still alive. I wish I would have been there to see them together. I never got to meet my father. He died fighting for our freedom before I was even born. It's hard to miss a person I have never met, but I still wish he would have been there for us.

Okay, I just need to bring the dress back in one piece. She won't even notice it's gone.
I put on the dress carefully trying not to rip any stitches or seams. The dress seemed to fit me. I was afraid it wouldn't be my size. I walk in front of a small mirror and try to see if it looks okay. Luckily the dress is long enough to cover my shoes. Otherwise it would be obvious that I'm poor.
I really can't see myself properly, but I hope I look at least average.
I comb my hair and leave it open. I really wish I had some jewelry to put on. It would crown the outfit.
If I don't leave now I will be late and never be able to get in. I go check on my mother one last time before leaving, just to make sure she was still sleeping.
I take a deep breath as I walk outside, memorizing the plan in my head. The ball is held every year at the same time. As long as I remember I had looked out of the window every time to see the fancy people in beautiful dresses. I started to memorize the people going there. There is this one big family that has ten grown children. They always went together as a group. Tonight the youngest daughter is sick. The guards don't hopefully know that and I'm able to blend in. Of course I can't get too close to the family or they will see me, but just enough close to look like I'm part of them to the guards.
As I walk closer to the castle I see the family. The daughter isn't there. Good. I was afraid she might show up after all. I walk behind them without anyone of them noticing me. I feel my heart pumping rapidly as they keep moving towards the entrance. This can go horribly wrong and I might get caught. There's no backing out now. I try to look calm, even though on the inside I was on fire. I keep walking the same phase as them, but leaving a little room so they won't notice me. I now see how close we are at the entrance. Oh, no. I'm not going to get in. Why did I do this? My heart rates faster than before and I almost freeze completely. I take a deep breath and clear my mind. This is it. I hear the father of this family laugh about something with the guards as I hide behind someone from the family. They start moving again and I realize that now is my change to sneak in. I put my head down so the guards don't see my face and walk fast past them. I lift my head and realize I JUST DID IT! I got in! The Palace looks absolutely amazing! The golden shiny chandeliers, the beautiful high sealing, calming music, all the fancy people in lovely outfits. I can't believe I'm in here. Oh, this is my lucky day! I don't even care if I get caught now! I already got what I wanted. Just to stand here and look at everything.
I take a deep breath and try to relax my excitement. Just be elegant and try to look like you belong here. Maybe I should get something to eat or drink. I start to look around, where the food table is and then I see the prince. I have never been this close to Thor before! In the same room, in the same party as him?! I didn't even realize how long I was staring at him until he looked at me and SMILED!! I quickly look down and blush.
I think my heart just skipped a beat. I'm pretty sure he wasn't looking at me. It couldn't be! My mind is just playing tricks on me.
Breath! Just breath.. I look up again and see him eyeing at me. It's just my imagination.
I quickly make my way to the food table keeping my head down. What if our eyes meet again? I couldn't calm myself.

I'm amazed how many different appetizers are on display. What can I even eat here? I don't know what to take. There are so much different things. I just stand there looking at the delicious looking food, but too scared to touch anything. I sense someone coming next to me, but I don't lift my head. They're just probably looking for something to eat.. I hear next to me "Hey gorgeous, what's the name of yours?
I look at the person next to me and OH MY! I look straight into his blue eyes, freezing completely. It's the prince himself! My eyes widen as I realize he's taking to me. I can't breathe! He looks at me up and down, finally stopping to my eyes. I try to open my mouth, but nothing comes out. I feel so small next to him. He's tall, muscular and incredibly handsome! I can't believe Thor is talking to me! This is unreal! I think he noticed my surprise, because he continued talking. "Your dress looks absolutely beautiful, but I think it would look better on my bedr- OW!" Before I even could understand why Thor was hurt, Loki was straight in front of me pushing Thor back. "I'm terribly sorry about my brother. He has no manners what so ever." says Loki. I look at him stunned, not believing what was happening straight in front of me.