Chapter 2: Don't Kiss Your Best Friend and Tell

*Kymberly's POV*

          I tossed and turned most of the night until I woke up panting and out of breath. Corey still laid beside me sleeping, I started to weep softly. I couldn't figure out what that nightmare meant to me.

        "Kym?" Corey shifted waking up to see the tears down my face.

         "Yeah? I'm sorry for waking you. You can go back to sleep." My whisper was quiet and low.

         "Kym? What's wrong? You're my best friend and I know when something is wrong so tell me and maybe I can help you." Corey sat up completely in front of me.

        "It was just a dumb and stupid nightmare." My voice trembled with fear.

         "Kym you know it was just a dream it wasn't real you know that right?" Corey looked at me softly.

         "I know it was, it just scared the fucking shit out of me." 

        "C'mere." Corey motioned for me to get closer. 

     It reminded me of being a kid and living each day like it was my last with him right by my side.  He seemed like he was just as happy because I was back in town. 

      "Corey?" 

      "Yeah, Kym?" 

     "You know I missed you right?" I looked over at him making sure he knew.

     "I know, I'm just glad you're back." Corey smiled and pulled me against him.

     We just laid together in a perfect silence and I knew that when I went to leave again that it would be very hard to say goodbye to Corey. I tried to shove the negative poisonous feelings aside and focus on the night with Corey.

     "Try to sleep Kym." Corey smiled and ran his fingers gently through my hair and I felt myself becoming tired.

       "Thank you." That was my last whisper before I fell back asleep next to Corey.

*          *         *

     I woke up and glanced at the clock, it was just after nine in the morning. I smiled he was still dead to the world beside me. Gently I slipped from the bed and walked out into the living room. I opened the front door and went and sat on the porch so I could smoke a cigarette. The sun wasn't quite overhead yet, I smiled I missed home more than I thought I did. Quietly to myself, I made a mental checklist of things I would have to do at the old family home.

       "Kym?"

       "Yeah, what's up?"

       "How'd you sleep?" Corey smiled at me and I couldn't help but smile back at him.

       "Pretty good but I'm thinking about all the shit at my mom's old house." I looked out at the neighborhood sprawling out in front of me.

        "I don't have anything to do today, I could come over and help you." He grinned at me and I knew he was totally serious.

         "That would be great. I really could use the help." 

          "Well let's eat first and then we can go to your place and get started." Corey smiled at me and I put out my cigarette and followed him inside. We grabbed whatever we could to eat, it wasn't much but it served its purpose. It was silent, so much so that you could hear a pin drop. 

     I looked up at Corey to see that he was already looking at me. I smiled at him and he stood up from his chair and took my hand and pulled me to my feet looking into my eyes the entire time he did it. I watched him captivated and curious as to what was going to happen next. That's when time stood still and he kissed me.

     "Sorry, I've wanted to do that since you left home when we were kids." He smiled at me.

     "It's alright I quite enjoyed it."

      "So what does this mean now?" Corey looked at me.

      "I don't know Corey, all I know is you mean too much to me to let you leave things not knowing what could be." 

       "Neither do I Kym you mean too much to me. I guess what I'm saying is I be my girl?" His smile was reminiscent of the ones he used to give me as a kid.

      "Yes." I smiled and I couldn't believe that it was actually happening.

     *            *       *

     "Well we should probably get to your place and start going through shit shouldn't we?" Corey smiled as we stood up heading for the door.

     "Yeah, as much as I don't want to it has to be done."

    "Well let's get going." He smiled and pulled me out the door.