Chapter 9: Scissors

*Kymberly's POV*

        It had been a couple of days since Corey had shown up at my place drunk and bloody from some ungodly bar fight he had gotten into. I loved him to death but sometimes he worried me. I knew that he'd never do anything like that to worry me on purpose but it happened anyways. I laid awake beside him as he slept soundly my mind was everywhere else but where I wanted it to be. I didn't want to move so I just laid there, thinking back to how long I'd known Corey.

     "You okay Kym?" Corey asked sitting up in bed looking at me.

     "Yeah, Corey, I'm fine just wasn't able to sleep very well that's all." I smiled as much as I could for being a little downtrodden but nothing that was going to affect my life.

     "So you're sure you're fine?" Corey looked at me a questioning look in his eyes.

     "Yeah, I'm fine. I may not be able to sleep but I do just want to lay here with you." 

     "Well, we can do that Kym. That actually sounds nice." I smiled at him.

*Corey's POV*

Kym seemed a little more down than usual, normally she was all giggles and smiles. Even when we were younger she was always so happy. She was the light to my dark and that was just what I needed to keep me balanced. She in some ways was so delicate but so strong in others.

    "Kym?"

    "Yeah,  Corey?" She turned to face me. 

    "Wanna watch a movie or something?" I smiled at her.

    "You bet I do." She grinned.

      I loved that girl so much, she was my entire world. She stood and turned on the movie and my mind began to wander back to the day I first met her.

   *Flashback*

  "Stay away from me!" A girl I didn't know cried out.

  "What are you going to do about it?" The asshole who was being a bully taunted her.

  "Please just stay away from me. You're scaring me." She looked like she was about to cry.

   "Hey, man just leave her alone," I called out as I walked towards the scene.

   "Oh come on Corey she's a weak nothing. She's not even pretty." He complained.

   "I said leave her alone."  I shot daggers at him.

  He walked away and I looked at the small young woman shaking like a leaf on a tree in front of me. I saw the tears on her face and I felt an overwhelming need to comfort her.

    "Hey, are you okay?" I asked.

   "Yeah, I think so." Her voice was unsteady and I knew that being in school the rest of the day wasn't a good idea for either of us.

   "I'm Corey, maybe we should get out of here before people start crowding and school officials get nosey."

    "Yeah, you're probably right. My name is Kymberly, and thank you by the way." She spoke smiling a little as she let me help her up.

     I took her back to my place with me, this guy had hit her a couple of times. I barely knew the guy and that pissed me off. When we got there my mom took one look at her and freaked out.

     "Corey who's your friend here and what happened to her and why aren't you two in school?" 

     "Mom listen, some guy was beating her up hence the marks on her. I stopped him and  I decided we leave before word got around." I hoped she wasn't going to freak out.

      "Oh my." She came over and started looking over Kymberly making sure she wasn't badly hurt.

     "Come with me I'll help you clean your face." I held my hand out to Kymberly and that was the start of a lifelong friendship and eventual romance.

*End of Flashback*

      "Corey!" Kym looked slightly worried as she said my name.

      "Sorry baby, I was thinking back to the day that I first met you." I smiled at her.

     "I remember that very well. You saved me from getting the fuck beat out of me. That was our freshman year in high school." Kym smiled.

*Kymberly's POV*

      Hearing that Corey was the one thinking about all the good time memories made me feel happy. It reminded me that I mattered to him even when we were kids and he barely knew each other. I couldn't have asked for a better, best friend and boyfriend.

     "Corey, I love you so much. I don't want to think about what life would have been like without you." I smiled lightly and laid my head on his chest.

    "I love you too Kymberly."

     I loved so much the feeling of being with him and all of the little things we did as kids and all of the little things we did now. He and weren't always nice and innocent kids we went down some bad road and we did it together.