Smile for Me- Chapter 3

June 22, 201x

Dear Diary,

Like what I said last time. My relationship with Dylan is as smooth as silk and even our charades is going quite well. One morning when we were going to school:

“Amazing that this time I’m earlier than you and not to mention we’re going to be late.” Dylan chuckled, yes he chuckled. Ever since I advised him to smile more, he did, he even laughs or giggles as a plus.

“Sorry ‘bout that. Let’s get going. By the way if this happens again, you can go ahead without me. I’ll just ask my dad to drive me to the academy.”

“Ok.”

Later that day, during our club meeting:

“We’ll have a special performance for an orphanage this Sunday, since it’s just a small occasion we’ll just have our practice on Saturday. Please write your phone number and name in a piece of paper and kindly give it to me after the meeting. We will be practicing here in this room at 10 am. As for the percussionists.” I looked at Dylan because he’s one or our 3 percussionists. “I’ll contact you if we need your presence there.” Said Akira Hakamachi: our club president.

Days passed and it was finally Saturday. It was to my surprise that Dylan was waiting for me at the corner where our paths diverge, standing there with his bike.

“Oh so Akira-senpai contacted you? And I never thought you had a bike?” I anxiously asked.

“Yeah, Akira-san said the other percussionists can’t come. Somehow it looks like I was the last straw.” He scratched his head. “And about the bike, it’s actually famous among students.”

“Oh I see. But why are you so sad? C’mon Dylan, smile for me! It’s so early for you to frown like that!” I teased him just to make him smile and it worked! He even giggled.

“Hop on. We’re going to be late.” As I was about to sit he took my flute case and placed it in the small basket in front of him. “Here we go, hold on to me ok?”

I grabbed him in his waist, as if I was hugging him. I remembered that a friend told me before; if you’re going to ride a bicycle or motorcycle never anchor yourself to the driver’s shoulder to avoid controlling his arm in case you accidentally gripped hard, so I kept that in mind.

When we got to the school premises I hopped of his bicycle, grabbed my flute case and while he was parking his bike I asked him:

“Can you bring your bike again next time? It was fun.” I grinned.

“Yeah, sure! Glad you enjoyed that trip.”

After that we hurriedly went to our club room. When we got there we saw Hans, one of the percussionists. Akira-san asked us to enter and then talked to Dylan. I took my seat and grabbed my flute from its casing while they were both talking. Not that I was eavesdropping but I heard:

“I’m sorry Dylan. Hans said he can’t come because he had something urgent so I mailed you. But it turns out that his excuse was cancelled so he came.”

“Nope. It’s alright, I’ll just wait for Angel.”

While we were practicing, he kind of seemed annoyed, maybe because he’s got nothing to do here? Minutes later we practiced per group, and we were the first ones to practice. While tooting my flute, I can’t seem to remove my eyes from Dylan who’s been alone in a corner of the room despite others just mingling around as we practiced. No one’s talking to him. I wonder why? When our group finished I walked up to him, grabbed myself a seat and placed it next to him.