Smile for Me- Chapter 4

July 18, 201x

Dear Diary,

I must say, this may be the craziest month of our academic year, ever! You see, last June 29:

“Class, I’ll be giving you the information about your class project today. Your class project would be a stage play. Now, its connection to my subject would be literature. So you’ll be playing the classic, Romeo and Juliet.” And then the class started making noises. Probably happy about the play Mr. Gonzales picked or maybe not. “Silence class.” And it went silent after hearing those words. How obedient. “You’ll be performing it before the summer vacation, so I’m giving you 2 weeks to practice and prepare.” But then our class representative; Charles Hill raised his hand.

“Sir, that means we have to practice while preparing for our exams and I’m afraid, is 2 weeks enough for us to practice?” and then the class starts having second motions and such.

“Practically speaking, yes. You should know how to manage your time very well. Besides, you’re not the only ones to be very busy for these 2 weeks. In fact every class I handle will be having their plays before the summer vacation as well. Besides, 2 weeks is enough. Since I only expect you to play the important parts. Shorten it to the maximum of 30 minutes. Since the costume for the play should be Victorian, I’ll consider your casual and formal attires.” Finishing his speech, he called our class representatives in front. “Charles, Sara, please come up in front.” What now!? “Time to choose your actors and actresses, don’t you think? For Juliet.” And then Sara started writing Juliet on the board.

“Please raise your hand if you have someone in mind for nomination.” Charles declaimed. And then later on, in the corner of my eye, I saw Dylan raising his hand. “Yes Dylan?”

“I would to nominate Angel for the role of Juliet.” Oh crap.

“Hey why me!?” and then I started pulling him down. But it’s too late; Sara’s put my name on the board already. And then Krissy started raising her hand.

“Yes Krissy?” Charles asked.

“I would like to close the nomination for Juliet.” What the heck is she talking about!?! I stood up without permission.

“No, no! I would like to nominate Demi!”

“Is everyone alright with closing the nomination for Juliet despite having one selection?” Hey! Listen to me! *sniff*. Everyone started nodding. You don’t have to synchronize! *sob*

“Well I guess that’s it.” I looked at Mr. Gonzales but he’s just smiling. Losing hope, I sat back down and then the moment I looked at Dylan, he was smiling at me so I stared at my desk while my chin is resting on my hand.

“Now for Romeo.” Charles started. “Yes Dylan.” What!?! Again? W-wait. This isn’t good. I think I know who he’ll be nominating.

“I would like to nominate Kelvin for Romeo.” I knew it but reacting this time could make everyone curious so I can’t do anything but sink in my seat and hope that someone else will win the spot for Romeo’s character.

“Demi?” Charles questioned.

“I would like to nominate Dylan.”

“Erica?” asked Charles

“I’d like to close the nomination for Romeo.” I just hope Dylan wins this one!

“Please write your bet for Romeo’s character in a piece of paper.” The teacher said himself.

A few minutes later:

“It is clear that Dylan wins the role for Romeo.” Charles mentioned while pointing at Dylan’s tally. I immediately looked at Dylan and quickly stuck my tongue out. But he doesn’t seem to be amused.