Chapter 8

Catherine remembered waking up with a pain she hadn't felt in years. It felt like someone thread a needle through her chest and cut it 5 inches short, then glued it to the ground. It hurt so bad, but she didn't plan any recovery time. 

"You have to stay in the hospital for at least a week. I just performed open heart sturgery, it'll take a month to heal." 

"What?" Cath meant to shout it, but her voice felt dry and she barely could whisper regularly. "Why don't I stay at the castle, but come back every day?"

"You'll be staying on heavy medication for a while,"

"That's okay," Cath said her voice hoarse

Mary Anne sighed,"Okay, how about this: I'll stay in the castle until you're fully recovered, I'll be at your aid at all time's, but I'll be dressed as. . . something that's not a sturgeon. Okay?"

Cath wanted to argue but felt too weak to say anything. she managed a small nod and tried to stand up. She immediately regretted it. she collapsed and fell on her face with a loud thump.

Mary Anne pulled her up and said, "We need to get you a wheelchair."

"No," Cath croaked,

"If not, you'll have to stay in you're room for 2 weeks straight."

Cath nodded, "That's okay,"

Mary Anne sighed and put one arm around Cath's shoulder. Cath stood up and somehow half stumbled and half tripped to the door. 

It was a miracle how Cath got to the castle alive, she was so glad that she scheduled the sturgery while the king wasn't in the throne room. When she somehow got to her private chambers alive, Raven was waiting for her there. When he saw her he did this weird turn head and caw thing. Cath suspected he was laughing, but it really could be anything. 

"Feeling better now are we lady Catherine?" Cheshire's face appeared in front of Cath.

She didn't answer. Instead, Mary Anne spoke. "I'll be your roommate for the next month, just think of it as a huge sleepover." 

Mary Anne helped Catherine on the bed. "You should rest, you need it."

Catherine didn't resist it when Mary Anne helped her lay down. "The unbearable pain should be gone in a few weeks," she was so close, but at the same time so, so far away.