Chapter 20

It was like death. No. It was death.

It was death that she had to wait.

Wait for what she didn't know. Maybe she was waiting for Mary Ann to tell her it was all a joke. Maybe she was waiting for him to wake up. Maybe she was waiting for the world to end. But all she had to wait.

Or maybe she didn't have to wait. Maybe she just wanted something about. And it wasn't that she was upset. Miracle's like these don't just happen. She was just waiting to wake up and realise that reality is never what you want it to be.

Hours went by. Catherine just sat in the chair in Mary Ann's office for hours. At one point Mary Ann had given up trying to comfort her and left to go run tests on him. She was in there for quite a while but came out occasionally to check on Cath.

"If you want to see him, he's ready now." Mary Ann came by for the seventh time now

Cath stared at her for a while before saying, "Well I'm not," She turned back to staring at the desk with a billion pieces of papers from diagrams of the human body to a bunch of numbers Cath will never be able to read.

Mary Ann sighed and Cath almost forgot she was even there "I-I think you should go back now. The king must be waiting, and you can't seem suspicious."

Cath wasted no time getting out of the small area that was squeezing her in with all the thoughts that she harbored. She stood up and without saying bye went to the carriages. She could very clearly feel the eyes on her but she didn't care. All that mattered was that she got out of that wretched place. 

The ride back was silent. When she got back to the castle she went straight to her room. Cath was completely ready to collapse on the bed and tell Raven everything, but when she got inside she found the king waiting for her. 

"My queen, I was just here to tell you that the guests will be arriving soon."

"Guests?" Cath didn't care about pretending to be heartless. Maybe because she was anyways. At least for the moment.

"The party we were planning."

Right. She had forgotten all about it all over again

"R-right"

Catherine sighed and began going and picking out an outfit. How ironic. Just like it the fairy tales, it was like nothing could get worse. She also had to pretend she was dying and run away. 

"Rough half day?" Raven landed on her shoulder

Whatever that meant Cath didn't answer. She didn't have to in order for Raven to understand. He didn't say anything he just stood there while Cath helplessly pawed through her clothes. After a while she realised that it wasn't making a difference so she just decided to stay in the clothes she was in now.

Catherine went downstairs and sat in the throne room. She considered not eating the cake at all, but this would be the perfect chance to get away from this life. The life that she hated. One by one people started trickling in, all glancing at Cath a little longer than normal.

"Let's get this over with this," Cath told Raven who was perched on the armrest of her throne.

She stood up and walked over to the king who was socializing with the guests.

"Let's bring in cake." Was all she said while she walked back to her throne. She didn't bother to see the kings reaction because she knew that if she walked away then he would have no other choice than to listen to her.

Not minutes later the cake came through. It was the exact same cake that Cath baked (Please don't eat cake as old as that) It had the same exact patterns and the tiny little dot in the corner just so she knew that she baked it.

"Alright! Let's dig in!" Cath sounded way to happy

She got a piece from one of the maids and braced herself. She took a bite and instantly knew that she was making a good choice. She just wanted to get out of the castle so she could go back to the hostpital. For some reason, she wanted to be near him now. Not see him yet, but be in the next room.

"Oh, I'm feeling a little bit sick, let me go to my room." Cath announced in front of the whole room. No one was eating the cake except her and was instead intensely staring at her.

She practically ran out of the room and went to her room with Raven. She gathered a small pack of stuff, just his  jester hat, Cheshire and Raven. She changed into something more comfortable, something less lady like.

Then, she took off.

I know that this chapter was really rushed and certainly isn't the best quality. Please excuse me, I was really rushing while writing this, but I have some good ideas for the next chapter so I promise the next one will be better.