Chapter 21

It was never that Catherine hated the king. In fact, she would be thanking him at this point for trying to kill her. It wasn't like him to do something like that so Cath suspected that someone else suggested it. I was also the most useful thing he ever did.

Catherine looked through the peeking window to the henchmen who were driving the carriage. The word had not gone around that Cath was dead yet so she didn't have to secretly sneak out. She told the henchmen that she would come back on her own, so they wouldn't have to worry about picking her up. It would make sense because she was going to the hostpital and if she had died of the poison then that's exactly where she would try to go first.

After about 20 minutes they arrived at the hostpital, she tried to make it seem like she was rushing to the building but once she was sure that she was out of there sight she slowed down. She took a view of what she hadn't been paying attention to before. The bright white walls, the lights on the ceiling, the people who were crying both from happiness and depression.

A hostpital is supposed to be a good place and have so many happy faces because that's where everyone gets saved right? No. It's also a place where millions of people die. It's not that the people are trying to kill their patient. Just the toxicity of the building, it's so strong you can feel all of the souls that were not able to survive in this place.

When Catherine reached Mary Ann's office she sat in the same seat she sat earlier. She didn't talk to Mary Ann. Now that she was free from the castle she could act however she wanted too. She didn't have to act like she had to play along. She stared out of the huge windows that went from floor to ceiling.

She stared out at all of Hearts. All the people walking out and about. All the people who have no idea what's happening. It was like all these people were so ignorant. That they didn't want to believe that every second of there life is a blessing. That they don't have that feeling where all the air had been sucked out of your lungs and there was no air left to breathe. That they don't know what it's like to be alive but somehow dead.

Cath turned her head back to the coffee table in front of her. Mary Ann had left a key card to his room, in case she wanted to visit him. She considered going in multiple times but decided not too. She was just scared to see him in his state. But it's not like she had anything left at this point.

She picked up the card and brought it up to her chest. It was hard to do. It was like a plastic card weighed 1000 pounds and just picking it up was the most stressful thing ever. She held it up to her heart for a few minutes, just in case it wouldn't magically fall out of her hands. Just in case the chance that she could see the love of her again wasn't real. She didn't think it was real. After all this time, why now? Why not all those months ago, when she was suffering? Why wait until the wounds are finally settled in and accepted?

Whatever, She thought. It didn't matter anyway. Cath was going to see him now and that was all that mattered.

Catherine brought herself to walk over to the door. She dragged her feet one after another as if she were wearing metal iron shoes. It was years before she got to his door. Years. It was as if she spent her whole life walking up to that one door.

She slipped the card in and creaked the door open, just a crack. Just to get used to the environment she was no doubt going to live in for the next week at the minimum. Cath took a deep breath, ready for everything to disappear, ready for the door in front of her to turn to dust, but it never happened. It never happened so she opened the door fully while holding her breath.

She stepped in closing her eyes, not ready to have vision of whats in front of her. Still making herself close her eyes, she stood against the wall inside, breathing in the scent. It smelled like him. The faint rosy scent that he carried everywhere was filling the room up.

Catherine took a deep breath and opened her eyes. There he was, lying on the bed, with his kohl heart still sitting on his face. She just stared at him for some time, seeing him in this state was terrible. It was all her fault; if she hadn't tried to mess with fate, then he wouldn't be in this condition. Maybe, he would get his queen to order him back to Hearts, so they could fall in love all over again. But it was too late now, and all she could do at this point was wait.

She sat at the chair next to the bed and held her breath, this was not real. It couldn't be real. She took her shaking hand and wrapped it over Jests. His hand was cold and almost lifeless, which made Cath twitch because it was her fault in the first place. She took a deep breath, trying to remind herself to breathe regularly. She tightened her grip on his hand to try to stop them from shaking uncontrollably. But no matter however hard she squeezed she found herself loosening her grip in fear of hurting him.

Catherine took a glance; a proper glance at his face. It was perfect, the skin looked smooth, his mouth was curved into a grin as if he could sense her there, his eyes were peacefully resting down. There was nothing about him that Cath didn't admire, everything about him; was just so- incredible. It was like he was her heaven, she hadn't felt this kind of comfort or safety since the last time he touched her, even if she was just holding his hands.

She ran her hand across his face, hoping that would wake him up, hoping that would cause him to realize that the world needs him, that she needs him. His face was smooth but dry. He wasn't even awake, but Cath could tell he was tired, his face was dry, his hands were cold; she knew that he would give up fighting eventually. That couldn't happen though, he couldn't just give up.

Because if he did, Catherine wouldn't have a reason to fight for herself either.

YOU PEOPLE. I just wanted to say how grateful I am for how far this story came. I legit though no one would read this and if you're still reading then know that you hold a strong place in my heart. Here I am so close to the end of this book, listening to Ariana Grande's new album on repeat, writing for you guys. Thank you so much for all your support, and I hope you liked this chapter. I haven't updated in a long time so I thought I would make this extra long. Hold on, because there's only one chapter left :)