Chapter 12

The weeks that Mary Anne lived in the castle flew by for Catherine and if she were, to be honest, then she would say that she would miss Mary Anne. When Mary Anne had left she left a packet of pills and some weird orange liquid for emergencies. Cath would have broken down, but she was going to take frequent visits to Mary Anne for a month.

Catherine went back inside and decided that if she were really to start fresh, then she would have to clean out her room, without any maids. She started with her huge closet with all the dresses and gowns any girl could ever ask for. She decided not to touch those8 since she might rip them. So, she moved onto the storage part of her closet. It wasn't much, just some old stuff that she kept with her from the good old days.

I'm not sure I want to go through these things. Cath thought to herself

She reached her arm toward the drawer, hesitating. She went ahead and opened it. It wasn't that bad, just a bunch of things from before this whole queen of hearts mess.  

The first thing on the top was a cookbook. The same old, tattered cookbook that she learned from as a child. It had all the signs to tell you it was an old book. The pages were falling out and they were the color of sand, with dark brown spots on the edge. She flipped through the book and memories were brought back to her. She smiled to herself while sitting down on the floor. She flipped through the book as if it were her favorite book ever. (As I did with Heartless when Jest was alive) She carefully put the book aside to look at the next thing.

The next thing was something she never wanted to see again, It was Jest's hat. The black cotton was soft and worn. The familiar bells were missing when he gave them to the sisters. It held so many memories that made her feel so many emotions. Happiness, excitement,  nervousness, sadness, confidence, but most of all heartless. The ache in her chest and the goosebumps trailing along her arms were hard to ignore, but instead of crying she shoved the tears back inside her eyes.

She wanted to move on, she wanted to be happy. She wanted him to be there just like the old times. She wanted to pretend she was in those times. She wanted to start over, she wanted to repeat everything. She would never have killed the Jabberwock. She would have never taken the pumpkin from Peter Peter. She would have never told Mary Anne about the night with Jest. She would have never gone back through the door. She would have stayed, with Jest especially when she knew his fate.

Cath hugged the Hat to her heart and closing her eyes. She imagined him being right there with her. He would wrap his arms around her, telling her it would be okay. He would be there at all times and never leave her side even if he is a soul. He is a pure soul. And he will always be there for her. Cath smiled to herself pressing her hand into the soft cotton even more. 

He will always be with me, he will always be there, he is here now, he will come back for me. I will find him.

Sorry, this chapter was a little short. It will start to get juicier, 😉.