forty-five

A/N: shit is about to get real. THE MOMENT OF TRUTH EVERYONE.

 THE MOMENT OF TRUTH EVERYONE

here.
_____

FORTY-FIVE.

"I don't usually go to these type of things." He sat in a corner with her, watching as the party thrived. "In fact, I just wanna go home."

He almost puked at the sight of a musty couple grinding on each other.

She laughed over the loud music, sipping the liquid in her red cup. "Then why'd you come?"

"What do you mean? I'm here because you're here."

Her cheeks flushed as she immediately attacked his face with kisses. Happy was a understatement.

Johnny felt overwhelmed with all the physical affection and decided to shove her off. "Let me breathe, woman." He panted.

She gave him a sheepish grin, containing her excitement. "Sorry." She shrugged. "But same, I'm not into big crowds either."

He sipped his drink, nodding in response. "You know, I think you and I are similar in some ways."

"Really?"

"Yeah," he began, "we're shy, anti social to most, and no one really knows about our existence."

There was only one thing flawed with his reasons; Everyone knew about her existence...

And how it almost ended.

Mackenzie chuckled lightly."We love two kinky emo gods." She joked. Even though it was a sad case, she tried to lighten the mood.

He subconsciously grabbed her hand, rubbing different patterns on it. "Do you ever feel so alone?" He mumbled.

It was getting deep now. The alcohol was definitely kicking in.

"Not at all, I have you." She smiled.

"Can't relate, I still feel fucking empty." He sighed. "But thanks for making my life a little less shitty." He gave her a small smile.

She was the first, and only girl who has ever paid attention to him. He was extremely grateful.

"You're welcome, but why do you still feel empty?" She worried. "Am I doing something wrong?"

"It's not you, actually. It's just personal stuff."

She nodded understandingly. "But you're okay though, right?"

"Yeah, I'll survive." He paused for a moment. "But the real question is, are you okay?"

All her mind could think of was her harsh reality. Her meds, mother, past, and plenty more. Tears started to brim from her eyes, the alcohol messing with her system.

Tipsy Mackenzie meant Emotional Mackenzie.

"I think I should start heading home." Her low voice cracked. "It's getting late."

He called out for her as she sauntered through the crowd of dancing bodies, tears streaming down her face. Johnny was confused... again. What did he say wrong?

As she ran out the large house, he effortlessly caught up with her, grabbing her wrist to prevent her from escaping. Mackenzie seriously needed to work on her cardio.

Turning her around, her eyes were red and watery. "I'm so stupid." She whispered, sobbing in front of him.

"You're not stupid. Why are you crying, Pup?" He cupped her jaw, wiping away her tears with his thumb.

He wanted an explanation.

"Because I'm useless."

Okay, that's not what he meant.

He shook his head. "That's not true. Please tell me what's wrong?"

A sniffle came from her as she hesitated to respond. It was time to tell him the truth, sober or not.

"Do you know why I didn't want you to know my last name?"

He shook his head, growing curious yet worried.

"Because I'm the girl who tried to kill herself last year." She explained. "Does it ring a bell now? Mackenzie Ziegler? Or more known as Mackenzie Suicidler?"

Realization hit Johnny, finally remembering how he heard her last name. All the stories he overhead about a suicidal girl were finally explained. "Wait a minute, that was you? I've heard about you several times..."

He couldn't believe that's what she's been hiding.

More tears streamed down her face. "Y-Yeah, that was me. Do you hate me now?"

"Of course not, Pup." He rubbed the sides of her arms. "Teenagers go through crazy shit."

"Depression and suicidal thoughts are very common. But, they don't happen without a reason." He added. "So... what was your reason?"

She sniffled before glancing at the concrete. "My insomnia..."

"You have insomnia?"

She weakly nodded.

"So that explains the meds and why you're always awake after midnight?" He questioned and she nodded again.

"My insomnia drove me insane, Johnny. I was just so fucking tired that my mind wasn't in the right place anymore." A hiccup escaping her lips.

His arms wrapped around her shoulders as he embraced her with a tight hug of comfort. She was startled by his actions but hugged him back regardless, her mood instantly raised.

She smiled into his chest, her heart warming.

He stayed quiet for a while as he tried to process all this new information. It was unsettling but he understood her completely. He wanted to help her.

"Listen," He started. "We have to keep your mind and body healthy."

"We? Isn't my body for me to worry about?" She teased.

Lifting her chin with his finger, he chuckled.  "Pup, didn't you claim your body as mine?"

"Yes..."

"Then I have to participate too."

_____

END OF CHAPTER.

VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE!

A/N: oof hannah baker who 🙈😍