|| CHAPTER 12 ||

Claire was up and out of the bed faster than ever, when she heard Maisie scream. She knew it was most likely just a nightmare but she wanted to go to check on the girl. She had to go make sure she was alright and help her and take care of her. She put on a robe that hung by the door, seeing as she wasn't wearing any clothes. Walking into the living space, she found Maisie sitting up, hugging her own legs and rocking back and forth. Breathing fast and shivers running through her body every two seconds. She looked up when she heard Claire's footsteps and took in a deep breath. "I'm sorry" She whispered before hiding her head between her legs. Claire hurried over to the little girl and quickly put her arms around her and kissed her hair. "No no sweetheart, there's nothing to apologize for" Claire told her and started to slowly rock them back and forth. Shushing her and giving her head little kisses, as Maisie snuggled even further into Claire.

Owen appeared in the door and found Claire already there for the girl. She looked up at him and smiled before mouthing for him to go back to sleep. He nodded and smiled back before turning around and heading back to bed. "Hey, you want me to sleep here with you?" Claire whispered into Maisie's ear softly. The girl pulled away slightly and looked up at Claire. "Aren't you going to sleep with Owen?" She asked vulnerable. Claire had to let out a small laugh. "No sweetheart I can sleep here with you if you need it, and I really don't mind" She told the girl who nodded. "Okay" Was whispered back as a response from a shaking Maisie and Claire kissed her head again.

"Okay you wait here, I'm going to be back in one minute, tops, I promise" Claire told her before standing up and walking to the bedroom. Maisie sat still waiting for Claire to return.

Claire went to what she would consider her closet by now and found some underwear before finding Owen's shirt on the floor and pulling it over her head. It was almost long enough to look like a dress on her. You could just see her butt under it but that didn't matter now. It was just Maisie.

She walked back in and found Maisie in the same position, waiting patiently for Claire's return and smiled when she saw the redhead appear. "Alright let's get a few more hours before we have to go to the city again, shall we?" Claire asked as she sat down next to Maisie. She nodded with a sad smile and made space for Claire to jump in behind her. And before they knew it, they were both asleep. Claire with her whole body wrapped around the girl.

Owen heard the alarm clock and opened his eyes. Reaching his arm out to feel for Claire but found empty sheets instead. Then he remembered Maisie's nightmare and figured she must have gone to stay with her for the rest of the night. He got up and put on some clothes, as he wasn't wearing anything either from the night before. The memory made him smile like an idiot and brought a warm fuzzy feeling to his stomach.

He walked into the living space and found his two girls, sleeping peacefully. Maisie in Claire's arms and both of them with a hint of a smile on their lips. Owen was quick to get his phone and snap a picture.

He walked over to them and shook Claire's shoulder lightly. "Claire, honey" He said and proceeded to shake her awake. "What?" She asked still half asleep and rubbed her eyes. Looking down she found Maisie still asleep in her arms and smiled to herself. "We have to get ready, to make it to court in time" Owen told her and moved away to give her space. She nodded and sat up which woke up Maisie. The girl blinked a few times and looked around. "We have to get ready for today" Owen told her when he noticed how confused she looked. Nodding she got up as well slowly rocking from side to side, which made Owen walk over to steady her.

An hour later, they were in the car, leaving the so-called driveway and making their way to the city.

They found a parking spot close to the courthouse and made their way towards it, ready to face whatever was about to happen. Maisie was holding on to Claire's hand, looking around the city at all the people, as if any of them were going to take her away. Claire was holding on to Owen's hand with her other, slightly leaning into his side.