|| CHAPTER 77 ||

Maisie got out of the taxi and looked up at the yellow wooden house, with a smile on her face. Not long after, Claire came around with Charlie on her hip and put an arm around Maisie's shoulders. "You okay sweetie?" She asked, to which Maisie nodded and looked up at her mom displaying her glowing smile. "Go ahead" Claire said and ushered Maisie forward with a slight push. The girl kept walking, as she took in the scenery that was Kansas in the summer.

As she reached the door, she didn't hesitate to knock and no more than two seconds later, did her aunt open the door. A big happy smile met Maisie, who's smile grew just at the sight of her aunt. "Maisie" Karen said, dragging the e out forever, opening her arms up to let Maisie in for a hug. The now 15-year-old girl crashed into her aunt's arms and closed her eyes for a second, to better take it all in.

She hadn't known her aunt Karen for that long, but she loved her all the same and never missed an opportunity to welcome a hug from her.

Coming up the driveway behind them was Owen with the luggage and Claire with Charlie in hand who was more than eager to run to the others. Claire let Charlie run the few steps it took, by herself to reach Maisie and Karen. Giggling as she wasted no time in running straight into Karen's legs, who was ready to pick the little redhead up, in a second.

Maisie smiled at the two for a second before turning around to help her dad with the luggage. The two of them walked past the small group of redheads gathered at the front step. After placing the luggage down, they got just about one second to look around before the others came through the door. Karen with a smirk on her face, as her eyes landed on Owen. Maisie got the same expression and looked up at her dad as well, followed by a glance over at her mom.

It took everything in Maisie not to break into laughter. She almost wasn't able to keep it together while she waited for her aunt to deliver the news. Claire was quick to noticed that something was going on but didn't get the opportunity to ask, before Karen spoke up.

"Well, you two might as well get your luggage back in the taxi" She said, sending a glance Maisie's way, as the two waited for a reaction. Owen shook his head with knitted eyebrows, as he looked at the two who he assumed were the ones playing games. Claire looked over at Owen first, to see if he was in on whatever this was, but quickly discovered that he was just as confused as her. Her eyes then landed on Karen, who was still smirking like an idiot and Claire couldn't help but let the side of her mouth twitch into a smile.

"What do you mean?" Claire then asked after having had enough of the tension. Karen shook her shoulders, looking over at Maisie really quick before looking back at her sister. "Yea, what else are you going to use over night?" Karen said. Almost breaking character at least twice. Maisie was biting her lip in excitement, looking between her parents to see if either one of them had figured it out.

"Karen please do explain" Claire then said with a tilted head and squinted eyes. She loved her sister, to death. But damn the woman could scare the pants off of her sometimes.

Karen quickly wetted her lips before clapping her hands together. "Alright here's the tea" She said and broke into a huge smile. "I booked a suite in one of the best Hotels in the city, for you two to stay in overnight" Maisie's face went from biting her lip in anticipation to smiling all over, after she broke into a fit of giggles.

Claire stared back at her sister in disbelief. "You did what?" She asked. Her green eyes lighting up the whole room with the amount she had her eyes opened. Owen still looked as puzzled as before, having added Claire to the list of people that his eyes kept switching between.

Karen reached out and pulled Charlie to her carefully, tilting her head at Claire. "You two surprised me, well us, with your little improv wedding so I thought I'd give you some payback. It's not as glamorous and expensive as most, but it is a honeymoon" Karen then explained. Her facial features having softened excessively over the course of the explanation.

The couple didn't quite seem to grasp what Karen was saying. "Now, Maisie and Charlie will stay here with Gray and I, while you two go and spend the night away from your responsibilities. And Claire, before you start. I already asked Maisie in advance if she was okay with it, which she was" Karen quickly added. Maisie nodded and proudly agreed to what her aunt was saying. "I got Gray to tell the taxi to wait while we're standing here and wasting time so, I suggest you grab your luggage and get your cute butts in the car that is waiting outside" Karen said, crossing her arms to show that she was done with her talking but also that there was no arguing. They were going no matter what.

Neither Claire nor Owen knew what to say, no less what to do. "Come on you two" Karen said and put either hand on their shoulders, turning them around towards the door. "Go" Karen then said sincerely with a soft look in her eyes. "You deserve this" She then told them.

It took 10 more minutes before they actually left the house. Claire especially, feeling the need to make sure with both Maisie and Charlie that they were okay with this. Asking Maisie too many times if she was sure. "Mom, go!" Maisie had told her each time, with a big smile on her face. "I'll be just fine, we both will" She added right before they stepped into the taxi. Claire had sighed and nodded, as she took a deep breath. "I know...I know sweetie" She then told her older daughter, leaning in the give her forehead a kiss. Letting their foreheads rest against each other's while she whispered "You're so brave...I'm so proud of you Maisie, I really am" before letting go and joining Owen in the car.

Leaving your kids with your sister for one single night wouldn't be that big of a deal, if it wasn't because of Maisie's history. All the things the poor girl had been through and the hard time she had the first year she lived with them. It would always make you worry and Claire could feel her heart beating rapidly against her chest, as the taxi left the driveway and sat course for the city.

One of you lovely people came with a suggestion much like this one after I had already come up with the idea. Which brought a big smile upon my face, knowing that you guys want the same for these two lovely idiots!!

Quick note, other than the usual 'I hope you enjoyed'. You might have noticed that I don't really have an upload schedule anymore, which I know...it sucks...mostly for you guys though. Because it relieves me of a lot of stress and gives me more will to write, knowing that there's no deadline.

I sincerely hope that you guys can live with it! <3