|| CHAPTER 13 ||

Two hours later with a lot of hand holding and comforting touches. They all got a break. It wasn't close to over and Claire was getting more worried by the minute. Someone had informed them it might go on until tomorrow so getting a hotel room was probably the best idea.

So far, the only arguments against Claire they had, was about her and Jurassic World. Nothing else but it was a big deal. The incident was something that shook the world. Her being involved and them claiming that she was the one who gave permission to create a modified dinosaur, it was not helping her case.

She kept telling herself it would somehow get fixed because she knew for a fact, that she had nothing to do with the creation. None what so ever. All she did was get it all up and working for the public. The creation was out of her hands. No one believed her tho.

After they were told there was going to be a break for 30 minutes, Owen quickly got up and went to kneel in front of Claire. Placing his hands on her thighs and giving them a couple squeezes. She sighed in frustration and Maisie leaned into her side.

The girl was scared as well but everything was out of her control. They had come to the solution that she wasn't to be blamed for obvious reasons by the way. If Claire didn't end up with the custody if Maisie, she was going to be put into the system and send to and orphanage.

That thought scared the young girl, almost as much as being chased by a huge dinosaur again. She couldn't really comprehend how she would survive it, what she would do and how she would get through the rest of her life without Claire and Owen.

Owen stood up and took Claire's hand, bringing her outside with him while Maisie followed closely behind, holding on to Owen's arm. After exiting the big hall and coming to a stop in a more private corner, Claire broke down. Her whole body started trembling. Owen was quick to react and wrapped the poor woman in his arms and kept kissing her head as he whispered that it was going to be okay and they were going to figure something out if it didn't go their way. Claire couldn't stop shaking and eventually gave up on trying. She let herself break, let herself feel vulnerable for once in her life.

Maisie was standing on the sideline watching, feeling really bad for being the reason Claire was going through this. She wasn't to blame but the girl didn't know any better and felt like it was all her fault.

Claire eventually calmed down a bit and pushed her body slightly off of Owen and turned to look at Maisie. "I'm so sorry sweetheart" Claire sniffled. "I'm making all of this about me, I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through" She continued and bend down to be closer to Maisie's level. The girl just smiled at Claire and wiped a tear away from her hopefully new mom soon. Claire let out a wet laugh and Maisie stepped forward to give Claire a hug.

"Don't worry Claire, I understand why you are upset and we will get through this" Maisie said during their hug. She pulled away from Claire and whispered. "I promise" With a cheeky smile on her small rosy cheeks. Both Claire and Owen laughed. This girl.

"How did you get so smart huh?" Claire asked with a laugh and stroked a couple strands of hair away from the young girl's face, who just shrugged and smiled at them.

Half an hour later and they were back in the courthouse, listening to argument after argument. More and more reasons came up as to why someone who barely knew the girl was to get custody of her. Then others argued back that it's just like adoption. You don't know the kid when you adopt it, why was this different. Claire had to admit, she owed those people the world, because that changed a lot of people's minds. The judges called it a day and they all got to go home or well in Claire, Owen's and Maisie's case, to a hotel.

They left with a fifty-fifty chance. Claire had suggested that Owen went up for custody, maybe he would have a better chance. He felt slightly embarrassed telling both girls about his less responsible days. He had gotten in a few fights here and there and he was at Jurassic World after all. He reminded Claire that he was a part of the rescue as well. She had sighed at that because he was right. He wouldn't have a better chance.

Walking down the street with a girl under each of Owen's arms, they finally found somewhere to eat. The small family sat down inside what would probably be described as a bar. This was the kind of place where you went to the desk to order so when they found out what they all wanted, Claire went up to order. After Claire left, Owen asked Maisie if it was okay if he went to the toilet to which she had said yes. She wasn't comfortable being alone, especially in a big city. Owen didn't like leaving the girl either but Claire was right there and had a clear view of her.

"Excuse me, are your parents here?" An employee came up to Maisie and asked. The girl got terrified of the stranger. She didn't know what to say and the longer she stayed quiet the more the waiter looked like she was about to throw Maisie out.

Claire having heard the waiter, walked as quickly as she could without making a scene after she finished ordering. "Yes, I'm right here" Claire said and went to Maisie's side to put a reassuring hand on the girls back. Claire could feel her slightly shaking body under her fingers and felt bad.

"You her mother?" The waiter asked in a disapproving voice. Claire glared back at the waiter and firmly said. "Yes" Her eyes never leaving the waiter. "Problem?" Claire asked when the waiter didn't move. "No ma'am" She said and walked off to the kitchen. Claire scoffed and sat down next to Maisie. "Sorry sweetheart" Claire said.

Feeling Claire's arm coming around her shoulder, Maisie scooted closer to her and leaned into her touch. She really hoped she got to stay with Claire because she had already gotten used to Claire's touches and wasn't sure she could ever live without them. That must be how Owen feels, she thought for a second.

"You just called yourself, my mom" Maisie said, looking up at her 'mom'. Claire did realize that but hoped it flew past Maisie's head. She looked down at her 'daughter' and gave her an awkward smile. "I guess I did yes. Sorry but it seemed like the most reasonable response" Claire said and took a deep breath. Maisie smiled to herself and said. "Don't worry, hopefully you will be allowed to be my new mom" She sounded so innocent as if the words didn't have any meaning to them.

Claire's brain however was going a mile a minute. Yes, she wanted custody of Maisie. Yes, she was sure she couldn't live without the girl at this point and yes, she had thought about eventually having a kid or two. She just hadn't realized that getting full custody of Maisie would mean she would be seen as her mom. She didn't expect the girl to call her that or Owen her dad. But just the thought of her being okay with Claire being her mom, it was more than heartwarming. Claire wasn't sure there was even a word to describe the feeling she got by those words.

Eventually Owen came back and sat down. "Sorry, long queue" He said and looked at Claire who was staring blankly into the space behind him. "Claire honey?" Owen asked with a tilted head and a hand on hers. "Yea" She suddenly said and sat up straight. "Sorry, I was lost in my own thoughts there for a second" Claire said.

The only reason for this last part going the way it did was because I wanted. NEEDED, someone to call Claire, Maisie's mom. That being Claire herself didn't really matter so here we are.

I swear, this is the 4. chapter I wrote today, of course the day you read this, will be far from now but damn was I on a roll!

Hope ya liked it and I hope you enjoy the slight drama.

Sorry I'm just not really that good at creating tension and stuff because I just want my beautiful angels to be happy with their little angel of a daughter...

<3