|| CHAPTER 82 ||

The next day at dinner, Claire and Owen were glaring over at each other ever so often. They had talked about Maisie and this Alex the night before, when they had gone to bed. Ending up with the decision to try and talk to Maisie about it. And with the best of luck, get her to invite Alex home, so they could meet him.

Maisie was pushing a small slice of carrot around on her plate, not able to eat anymore. Her plate was still half full but she wasn't very hungry these days.

Claire put her mouth askew and waited a second, before taking the leap. "Hey Maisie" She said and got the girl's attention instantly. Brown eyes looking right at her with curiosity. "Do you feel like, maybe talking about this Alex?" Claire asked, making the brown eyes open further. Claire reached across the table to grab Maisie's hand. "It's okay sweetheart, there's nothing to be ashamed of" Claire then said and send her nervous looking daughter, a heartwarming smile to show that she was on her side.

"Is he in your class, this Alex?" Owen then decided to ask, in an attempt at getting the girl to speak. Her head snapped to him with the speed of light. The brown eyes now bigger than before, if that was even possible. "eh" Maisie started but was unable to put together any coherent words. "How long have you known him?" Claire then asked and Maisie's head snapped back to her mother. Another attempt at a sentence was made, but without luck.

"Maisie it's okay, we're not angry or anything. We just want to get to know this Alex. Is this like...a little crush or are you two, boyfriend and girlfriend?" Claire then asked with a wicked smile on her face. Maisie swallowed.

All her options were hanging above her head and she was having a hard time choosing. Wishing that she didn't have to. Why did everything have to be so complicated. Why her. "Th...the last" Maisie said, feeling a small weight come off her chest, yet it felt like another weight got added at the same time.

Her parents were looking at her expectantly with big smiles, making her swallow again.

"Alex is eh...in my class" Maisie then managed to get out and received a smile from both her parents. "How long have you known him?" Owen asked and tilted his head. Maisie swallowed another lump and said "ssss...started at my school about eight months ago, perhaps. We started talking not long after" Maisie said. She wanted to slap herself, for fumbling with the beginning of the sentence and almost saying something she wasn't ready for.

"That long huh" Claire then said, still smiling. "How about you invite him over one day?" Claire asked, shooting Owen a quick glance. Maisie's panic increased, making its way around her whole body. Heart pounding, palms sweaty and eyes snapping between her parents every second. "Eh...I don't...know...about that" Maisie eventually stuttered, swallowing over and over again.

"Why? What's wrong with it? Do you not want us to meet Alex or is it the other way around?" Owen then asked, wanting to get to the bottom of this. Yet again, Maisie swallowed. "No, its...not..." The girl exhaled loudly and dropped her gaze to the table. "Fine...I'll ask" Maisie then said after quite the bit of hesitation and inner battle with herself.

She quickly left the dining table afterwards and hurried upstairs.

In her room, Maisie was panicking beyond all belief. Rocking back and forth on her bed while she waited for Alex to pick up on skype. The waiting music was driving her insane, taking in a deep breath when it stopped and Alex' face popped up. Even in all the chaos and distress, she felt the corners of her mouth twitch into a small smile. "Hey gorgeous" Alex said nonchalant, while getting comfy in an oversized hoodie. "Hey" Maisie sighed. "Is there a reason you called, or did you just miss me?" Alex asked with a cheeky yet caring smile. Maisie shook her head with a slight chuckle. Alex could always get her in a better mood, no matter the situation. "Both I guess...but I do have kind of a problem..." Maisie then said and noticed how Alex's expression turned serious.

"My parents want to meet you" Maisie sighed, looking down at her keyboard. Alex's eyebrows shot up in surprise but quickly fell down, realizing what that meant. Neither of them said anything for a long time, both what would happen next. Alex was the first to speak up. "Do they know?" Maisie swallowed sadly and shook her head. "Well...that we're together, yes" Maisie quickly added. "I see" This time it was Alex's turn to sigh. "Do you have a plan or are you just winging it?" Alex then asked. Maisie groaned out loud and grabbed a pillow behind her, to scream into. "I have no idea what to do. No plan whatsoever. They just told me, like five minutes ago. I just went upstairs, after agreeing to ask you" Maisie said, followed by a deep breath. "Ask me what?" Alex then asked. "If you would like to come visit" Maisie said in a low voice, but Alex still heard what she said.

Both of them said nothing again, for a long time. Alex was the first to speak up again.

"I guess the real question is...are you ready?" Maisie sighed and swallowed, rubbed her eyes and groaned again. "I don't know Alex...why does it have to be so hard. Why can't I just tell them about you and you come meet them and everything's fine. Why does it have to be so complicated, with probably a million conversations to follow. WHY?" Maisie asked in a frustrated voice that grew louder with each word, close to a scream at the end.

"Maisie take a deep breath, please...for me" Alex pleaded, making Maisie comply. "I know its hard, I've been through the same thing. All I can tell you is, that there's no rush" Alex said. Maisie nodded followed by a deep sigh. "You okay?" Alex asked. Maisie licked her lips quickly before looking up at the screen with another nod.

"I can go if you need some time to think about this" Alex said but barely finished before Maisie jumped in. "No please stay...help me figure this out" Alex nodded with a sincere and understanding smile.

"Well do you want them to meet me and vise versa?" Alex asked. Maisie nodded instantly. "Do you need more time?" Alex then asked. It took Maisie way longer to answer this question. In fact, it took her so long, that Alex thought the camera had frozen. "Maisie" Alex said, attempting and succeeding at getting her attention. "Sorry...I don't know...Does it ever get easier? Do you ever get 100 percent ready?" Maisie asked and looked up to find Alex shaking her head, wearing a sad smile. Maisie took a deep breath and let it out. "Alright then I'm just going to do it" She said with a confident smile on her face, but fear still clear in her eyes. "I'll figure out when and then we take the bus to my house and...yea...we'll see what happens" Maisie then said, explaining the plan she just came up with. Alex smiled back, proud and happy. "Alright, tell me when you figure something out" Alex said. Maisie agreed and said her goodbyes to Alex.

Maisie went downstairs to ask her parents when they were free, so that she could invite Alex home, as requested.

I am very aware of how confusing this probably was to read. Just give it time fellas.

Hope it was alright.