|| CHAPTER 38 ||

As promised, Claire started researching doctors and she also took the liberty to find some schools for Maisie, in the area. It took a few weeks before Claire pulled herself together and made good with her promise. It also took Owen nudging her every day to get started. Which was why she eventually found herself outside on a chair, looking up doctors and schools, with Maisie right next to her, coloring wild in one of her new books.

Claire eventually found a doctor and finished the whole process, which took forever by the way Owen, she told him. Moving on to schools. Maisie hadn't said yes and she hadn't told her she was going to be looking. But she had to start school soon. Neither her or Owen were fit to homeschool her and it would be extremely good for the girl, if she got out and met kids her own age. Searching for the schools closest to them, she found one at the outskirts of the city. Only 15 minutes away. Signing Maisie up and writing her resume, she moved on to look for a few others incase this one didn't take. Hopefully it did, because the closest schools besides that one, was at the other end of the city and the other one was in the opposite direction, with a half hour drive in car.

Maisie eventually went into the van and came out, telling Claire that she wanted to take a walk. Claire was skeptical at first but gave permission as long as she stayed by the outskirts of the forest, so she was able to keep an eye on her. Walking off with a small backpack, she found a tree where the forest started and decided it was a good one to climb. Getting herself settling on a big branch, she took her backpack off and pulled out the blank paged book and a pencil. She looked around her for any inspiration, eventually landing on something that she wanted to try her luck with. Her mind went beyond the natural borders but that didn't stop her. She kept on drawing and drawing, more and more things coming to her mind. Perfecting the drawing down to the last detail.

A few hours later, Maisie came down from the tree and went back to the van. Finding Owen sitting at the table with Claire, she went to sit by them. Hearing the last of their conversation with Owen saying something about how far he had gotten with the house. "Hey sweetie" Claire said, smiling up at the girl when she pulled back a chair. Maisie smiled back and took off her backpack to place on the ground, before sitting down. "What were you talking about?" Maisie asked and looked over at Owen. "Just talking about how far I am with the house" He answered smiling and Maisie smiled back before asking another question. "How far are you? When can we move in?" She asked curiously. Owen chuckled at her enthusiasm. "A couple of months I think" He answered, making Maisie's smile grow bigger. She started laughing and Claire send Owen a look out of the corner of her eye. Both of them so happy that Maisie was happy, sadly they had to break the happiness for an important subject.

"Hey, Maisie girl" Owen said, trying to catch her attention. She looked up at him and his face fell instantly. "What is it?" Maisie asked nervously which got Claire to reach out and hold on to one of her hands. "Remember that I talked about school?" Claire asked carefully and Maisie's face fell just like Owen's. "I don't want to" Maisie said holding back a sob which Claire could very clearly hear. "Maisie sweetheart I know you don't. But neither Owen or I, are qualified to homeschool you and we both think it would be much better if you got to spend time with kids your own age. Get some time away from us and become more confident in yourself. "You can just tell me if you want to get rid of me..." Maisie said and stood up quickly, making her chair fall backwards before she stormed into the woods. Claire stood up, wanting to take after her but Owen quickly put a hand on her shoulder stopping her. "I got it, stay here" He said, not even finishing before he had started running.

The girl was quick but Owen was quicker. He never even lost sight of her. Jogging behind the girl as he called her name over and over again. "Maisie honey, where are you going?" He called, making her speed up a bit. "Maisie would you please stop running. I don't want to have to tackle you" He said hoping it would make her stop. Of course, he would never actually tackle her but he was desperate. She didn't slow down and he decided to make his way up to her. Running by her side, he looked down at her. Damn she was fast, he thought. "We don't want to get rid of you Maisie, you hear me?" He said, anxious of where this was going. "Why else would you send me to school?" Maisie cried, wiping a tear away with a frustrated sweep of her hand. "Because it will be good for you Maisie, please you've got to trust us on this" He said and reached out for her arm to stop her from running. She jerked her arm away quickly and stopped running in an instant. Letting her legs buckle under her, she fell to the ground and started crying out loud.

Owen joined her in a second and wrapped his arms around her. "Maisie sweetie I understand how scary it can be, trust me. Mom understands as well but...It's important that you go to school, it will be good for you. True, in the beginning it might be scary and you might want to run away just like now, but you can't. Maisie you are the sweetest, funniest most caring little girl I have ever met and I can guarantee you that everyone will want to be your friend" Maisie sniffled into his shirt, before she leaned back and wiped her nose with her bare arm. "You think?" She asked, looking up at him with tearstained eyes. "I know it" He said. She nodded and said. "I just don't want to be away from you guys" Owen sighed. He could easily imagine, just how this girl felt. "What if we stay in the parking lot until you get out, on the first day?" He asked. Her eyes lit up with hope. "You can do that?" She asked. He nodded and chuckled out a yes. "Okay...I'm willing to try if you guys can stay close to me" She said and sniffled again. "We promise. So, are you ready to run back home?" He asked and she let out a loud sigh. "I can't feel my legs" She said and Owen got a worried look in his eyes that she quickly got rid of. "I'm exaggerating" She said laughing slightly. He let out a sigh and stood up, reaching down for her hand. She took it and ended up getting a piggyback ride all the way back to the van.

Claire was as nervous as ever. Walking back and forth and in circles. It was over five minutes ago that their figures disappeared between the trees and Claire was starting to feel the oxygen leaving her brain. She was sure she was going to pass out again, until Owen's big body appeared in the trees and Claire ran to them, wrapping them both in her arms letting out a sob. "Don't do that again" She whispered into his shirt, even though it was Maisie who ran away. He had let Maisie down on the ground while Claire ran to them. The girl backed up just now realizing how much she scared her mom. She took a few steps and looked down at the ground, getting ready for the scolding and yelling that she was so used to by her grandfather and Iris.

Taking in a deep breath when she saw Claire's feet move, she prepared herself. Instead of hearing shouting, she saw Claire's figure bending down and wrapping her arms around her. Maisie was stunned and confused and it took her a second before she hugged Claire back. "Don't do that again Maisie" Claire whispered into her hair, letting out a deep sigh. Maisie let her own arms wrap around Claire's neck before she whispered back. "I'm so sorry mom" Both of them sobbing in each other's arms. "I'll go to school" She said, sound muffled by Claire's hair. Claire nodded and sniffled. "Thank you, sweetheart" She whispered back and both of them tightened their grip. "I love you so much Maisie girl. Remember that" Claire said, voice shaking. Maisie murmured back. "I love you too" Owen couldn't hear it at all but Claire could and she was forever grateful for this girl coming into their life. No matter the way or reason.

Okay so the skipping has started. As you see, it won't steal anything from the story.

I don't know if you guys noticed, (You probably did) but I haven't been uploading daily for the past week or so. Now no worries, it's nothing bad - It was intentional though. I'm usually about 4-5 chapters ahead from the chapter I upload and in the past week, I didn't get any chance to write. This means that I am only 1 chapter ahead...Which stresses me out.

Good for you guys though, because now is your chance to tell me what you want and you might actually end up seeing it in the next few chapters, if you're lucky.