Chapter 14: Assistance

Taking her seat, Ace smiled and greeted the cheerful boy who had eagerly awaited her arrival.

"Hey, Ace!" Allian grinned and playfully poked the female's shoulder.

"Allian, keep your hands to yourself." Raiden smirked as he took his seat across from the female. "You don't want to be invading her personal space, do you?"

The blonde boy pouted. "But I just poked her!"

The female shook her head before grabbing a binder from out of her backpack.

"Good morning, students. You should have taken notes at home yesterday as your homework." Their teacher spoke. "Today, you'll be working on a practice set. Please take advantage of this time and ask me and your classmates for help if needed. The whole point of the 'flipped classroom' is for you to ask me for help when you need it."

Mr. Stewart then proceeded to hand out the worksheets, making the girl grimace when she looked at the more difficult problems at the bottom of the page. God, I hate Riemann sums..

She picked up her pencil and a piece of scratch paper, easily solving the first few problems before staring at the more difficult problems blankly.

"Do you need help?" The onyx-eyed male asked, giving her a curious glance. The blonde sitting beside her also halted his work to look questioningly at the girl.

"Yeah." Ace frowned. "Did you do number six?"

Both the males looked at the question, nodding at her question.

Raiden got out of his seat and walked beside the female so he wouldn't have to look at her work upside down. "Alright, so for this one, it's asking you to use five subdivisions of trapezoidal sums."

"Do you know the formula for trapezoids?" Allian quickly cut in, much to the annoyance of his friend.

The female frowned. "It would seem that I've forgotten."

The blonde quickly wrote down the formula on the side of her paper. "So the formula is height a plus height b over 2, multiplied by the base of each subdivision."

"For these problems, the numbers to find the base are provided for you here." The charming male circled bracketed numbers with his pencil. "To find delta x, or the base, you do b minus a, divided by how much subdivisions the equation is asking you to find."

The female nodded, quickly finding the base of the subdivisions, unaware of the glares that the males sent at each other.

"Okay, so it's really helpful if we sketch out a graph of the function." Allian quickly stated before his friend, sketching out a graph of the function on her paper.

"Then we look at the integrals of which the function is asking us to find. In this case, find the area under the curve from x equals 2 to x equals 9." Raiden added, pointing his pencil to the integral sign.

"So now we want to figure out how to separate the curve into five equal parts. We'll start at 2, then add the base to figure out the first subdivision. Then you add the base to find the second subdivision, and so on." Allian explained.

Ace nodded and did as she was told, figuring out all five subdivisions of the curve. "Ah! I get it now!"

The boys narrowed their eyes at each other. "Then, you apply the trapezoidal formula to each subdivision." Raiden said immediately after the girl finished figuring out the subdivisions.

Doing as the male had told her, she solved for the area of each trapezoid.

"After that, you have to add all the areas together." Allian smirked as his friend scowled. "It's a bit time-consuming typing all that into the calculator, so factor out ½ out of the function. You could multiply it by ½ later after you get your answer from adding all of those areas together."