Chapter 3 - The English Class Incident

It had been a week.

No sign of Eli anywhere. I wasn't complaining though, I was still mad at him for ruining my top, on purpose. And I hadn't quite decided yet how I was going to get revenge.

Blair, Scarlett, and Riley had already begun shipping the both of us after I told them about the coffee incident. Sure, Eli was gorgeous but his cockiness wasn't.

Ms. Beauregard was still the devil's incarnation. Throughout the whole week, she treated me like it was her life's mission to make mine hell.

Dad and I had barely spoken all week. The amount of graffiti and vandalism was increasing rapidly and Dad was supposed to figure out who was causing it. He got home at two in the morning and would be gone again at six.

When we got time to talk, I asked him if he thought that the seventeen-year-old he took to the station might be the one behind it, but he told me that the boy was just being foolish. The tagging in his opinion was much more serious than a teen acting idiotic.

Apparently, the same signature was appearing over and over with each tagging "attack", which could symbolize that the person behind the vandalism was plotting something, or warning us that something was about to go down.

I was worried, I hadn't heard from Dad for the past two days. I wasn't supposed to call him unless it was an emergency. I had texted but had gotten no reply. He usually texted to check up on me. I would call him tonight.

I walked into my dreadful English room and was greeted with a frown from Ms. Beauregard.

I sighed.

What did I ever do to make her hate me?

I went to my seat and saw that Riley wasn't in class yet. Strange. I checked my phone. She would have texted me if she was ditching. She had likely slept in.

"Class, we have a new student. He just joined today." Ms. Beauregard called.

I looked up from my phone and my jaw was ready to hit the floor.

"Introduce yourself."

Eli searched the room until his gaze met mine, he flashed me a smirk before speaking, "I'm Elijah Hastaway, but you can call me Eli."

What the hell was he doing in my class?

"All right, Mr. Hastaway, take a seat anywhere you'd like."

Eli nodded and took a seat beside me.

"But, Ms.B! Riley sits beside—" I protested.

"Ms. Lockhart."

One stern look from her face was all it took for me to shut up. No, I wasn't scared of her. I just didn't particularly want to spend another portion of my lunch in torture.

Eli whispered, "Close your mouth, you'll catch flies."

I huffed and snapped, "I hope I do so that I'll choke to death and not have to deal with you."

He whistled, "Damn. Someone's on her time of the month."

I ignored what Elijah had said so that I wouldn't try to kill him and looked at the worksheet Ms. Beauregard had told us to complete. Fifty-one questions that each required me to actually think to answer them.

Ugh.

I felt something sharp poke my back. I turned around and glared at Adam. He held his hands up in protest and pointed towards Eli. I should've known. I gave Adam an apologetic look and turned away.

Elijah was smirking and fiddling with a pencil. I smacked the back of his head and went back to my work.

"Ow. What was that for?" Eli asked, rubbing his head.