Chapter 16 - The Last Gift Incident

What the hell had just happened?

Eli pecked my lips quickly before he pulled out a gun from god knows where and told me to stay inside the house while he checked out what had caused the commotion.

Yeah, no. I wasn't just gonna sit around. 

I would have texted Dad if I had a phone. But I didn't. So I called him, reaching voicemail and discreetly leaving a message telling him what had happened.

I didn't have a gun or any weapon lying around so I settled on the next best thing. A frying pan. What could I say? I trusted that Rapunzel's methods of defence would work out the best. Besides, I had once dropped a frying pan onto my foot and had struggled to walk for a good week after that. 

I followed Eli out onto my porch. He shook his head at me but didn't say anything, knowing I wouldn't listen. He looked at my frying pan questioningly and broke into a grin. 

I just wanted to kiss that stupid look off of his face. Whoa, I needed to calm it. I was just pissed at whoever had interrupted our kiss. 

Eli and I both looked around trying to find out what had happened. It was a little after eight, so we had to rely on the streetlights to observe our surroundings. One of the neighbouring houses had a window that was shattered into smithereens. I hadn't the slightest clue of whose house it was, I wasn't exactly the type of person who was eager to get to know their neighbours. 

I nudged Eli pointing towards the window. 

Cautiously we crept towards the house looking for any signs of movement. The house appeared to be deserted. No car in the driveway, the lights were all out. Surely, if someone was at home, they would have called the police or at least screamed.

Out of nowhere Xavier appeared. I shrieked in surprise, my heart started to race like crazy. Dad wasn't home. This was the guy who had drowned me. No matter what he'd done to support Eli, I still wanted to kill Xavier, badly. 

Eli held his gun up, aiming it at his uncle.

"Hello my disloyal nephew and hello my favourite eighteen-year-old chick," Xavier grinned at us. 

I held the frying pan in front of me, one step closer and he'd get a new face without having to pay. Eli wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me back.

Xavier casually pulled out a gun of his own and stroked the barrel.

"What the hell did you just do?" Eli demanded.

"Calm down, my boy. I just shot a couple of bullets through the window. I double checked to see if anyone was home. I mean, I could have been completely heartless and just shot aimlessly at whichever house I pleased."

I rolled my eyes, "Thanks for being so considerate."

"I just wanted to get your attention, quickly."

"There's something called a doorbell. Now, I don't have the crayons or the time to explain what that is, but if you googled it, I'm sure you would learn," I snapped.

Xavier sent me a grin, "I always had a thing for sarcastic chicks. You're quite the gorgeous girl too."

I stepped back. Okay, no. Um. Ew. Freaking pervert.

I felt Eli's arm tighten around my waist, feeling a little less uncomfortable knowing he was there with me. 

Why the hell weren't we shooting this creep or at least tying him up to be thrown behind bars? Better question, why wasn't Xavier shooting us?

"I was only kidding, there's only one woman in my life," Xavier muttered before pulling out a little device from his pocket.

"What is that?"