Chapter 3. Headcount

It wasn't good.

Out of the 457 students currently attending Hogwarts, only 90 remained, all older students who didn't have younger siblings.

“All of first year. All of Second.  90% of third. 75% of fourth. 70% of fifth. 66% of sixth and 40% of seventh year.” Minerva read off. Almost 380 students total had gone missing last night.

Albus put his head between his hands. He had failed in the most spectacular way possible. He should have known. He should have sent the students home. He should have called the ministry or locked down the castle.

Shoulda.

Coulda

Woulda

The remaining students sat at one table, silently eating their breakfast, waiting for parents to arrive.

Harry Potter and Hermione Granger sat alone.

Ron, although he had been unaffected by the song, had gone with Fred and George and Ginny.

Harry had almost gone through with him, but Hermione had pulled his back, her face streaked with tears as Ron vanished.

It had been a long night.

Slowly all but a dozen students were left, parents of the lucky few coming and getting them far from this place.

All of the remaining students were either muggleborn or homeless.

Hermione and Harry matched those descriptions and remained seated as the last family left.

Aurors were swarming the school, the Ministry were calling for Dumbledore's head.

The only reason he hadn't been arrested yet was because he was the best chance the ministry had in fulfilling the creatures demands.

“The one who pulled a soul from the great beyond and the one who ripped his soul 7 times. The 6 shards and broken vessel.” Hermione mused. “Pulled a soul from beyond. Does it mean someone who successfully resurrected someone.”

Harry wasn't paying attention but Hermione didn't notice. “That would mean Peter Pettigrew is the first demand. So what's the second? It stands to reason that if they want the summoner they would want the summoned. So he who ripped his soul 8 times must be Voldemort.”

Harry snapped out of his gloom at the Dark Lords name.

“But what I don't understand is why they kidnapped students. If they are so powerful why didn't they just retrieve Pettigrew and Voldemort themselves?”

“Maybe they don't know where he is?”

Hermione shook her head. “I've been reading up on different types of Spirits but i couldn't find anything on ghosts who displayed that kind of power. So i looked at some Muggle Studies books. The ones from the section on how muggles perceive magic and I came upon this theory that children are more easily affected by ghosts then adults.”

“So why wasn't everyone affected. I mean. Fred and George were affected and their older then us.”

“I have a theory for that too. You see, I dont think its age that matters but maturity. Look at the oldest affected. Eternal pranksters. Not going to grow up anytime soon.”

“Brilliant deduction as always, Ms.  Granger.”

Hermione whirled around to see Professor McGonagall standing behind her. “You have come to the same conclusion in a matter of minutes what took me and the others hours to determine. Perhaps, you may be of some help in this matter.”

She walked away as Hermione blushed. “I wonder what the six shards are though. And the broken vessel.”

A blast of wind suddenly rang through the hall, blowing out all the candles.

A lone figure stood in the doorway, his dark skin setting off the silver accents in his robe and staff. He floated three feet above the floor.

The Hogwarts ghosts, who had been discussing their observations with the teachers noticed the new arrival and moved out of the way.

“The High King Phantom wishes to speak with you, Dumbledore. To you and you alone. Others my listen. But stay silent.” He said.

“Reckon that's Albion?” Harry whispered.

Hermione nodded. “Must be.”

He pulled something from his pocket and placed it on the floor.

It instantly grew to a full sized mirror glowing with power.

The aurors had surrounded the ghost but he did nothing but step back as the reflection changed from the teachers table to green swirls.

Quickly, the remaining students went to the front of the room, settling just off to the side as Dumbledore stepped forward.

Umbridge, who was smirking, tried to get up to follow, but somehow couldn't, Flitwick smiling innocently as he tucked his wand back into his pocket.

The image changed.

At first all we could see were glowing green eyes. But then we could see his face.

He looked young. Only 17 or so, with snow white hair and old, old eyes.

He wore a silver cloak and black armor, a ring with a skull upon his finger and a flaming green crown resided about two inches above his head.

He sat in a throne of onyx and silver, a knight standing behind and to the left while a creature resembling a large wolf stood to his right.

“Greetings, Albus Dumbledore. My name is Daniel James Phantom, High King of Ghosts. And I have approximately 369 young witches and wizards currently residing in my castle.”

His voice was deep, a ghostly echo behind it.

“That was quite a show you put on last night.” Albus said, meeting his gaze.

“I do apologize for the theatrics but I needed a quick and easy way to gain a bargaining chip. You see. We have rules here. Rules no one instated. Rules of Nature. The big one is, what is dead, stays dead. Another is that ripping your soul makes you less that ghost kind.”

Umbridge was about to protest something (probably how they are already inferior) but Albion’s eyes flashed and she stayed silent.

“Another law is one that cannot be bypassed nearly as easily. You see, our powers are not very effective against mortals. Especially older ones who have lost that connection to our world. That being said I took it upon myself to force your Ministry to act. From what a few wizards have told me, decisive action is not your governments forte.”

"And the shards?” Dumbledore inquired.

Phantom looked sad. “We Must destroy his ties to the mortal plane in order to bind him to the Infinite Realms. Thus, bring me the shards and the broken vessel. I believe its a journal.” he looked to the knight for confirmation.

The knight nodded and the king continued. “I can sense three in your castle. And others are nearby. Albion has a list of locations. Please retrieve them.”

He paused, collecting himself.

“Oh. And i would hurry. The infinite realms, despite me changing my castle to meet human needs, is no place for a human to live. Take too long and I will have 369 more subjects.”

A gasp of horror rose from the onlookers.

Dumbledore shushed his, eliciting a grin from the young King.

“We will begin the search immediately. Please, do not harm my students.”

A few ministry workers began to protest but Albion was taking the Dumbledore only thing seriously, binding the workers tongues.

“I have no intention of harming them. Just do be quick about it. It's been a pleasure, Albus.”

The image vanished.

Albion handed Dumbledore a scroll and packed up the mirror, flying off before anyone could react.

Then the shouting began.