Chapter 12. Discovery

Professor McGonagall put down her quill and sighed, pushing the rejected forms away from her.

“Merlin. Why can't they see this is a good thing?” She asked no one in particular.

A knock on her office door startled her and she glanced at the clock and opened the door to see a first year standing there.

“Its nearly eleven. What are you…” She trailed off as she noticed her classroom was filled to the brim with almost 20 Gryffindor students, all sporting keys.

“What are you all doing out of bed. Its nearly Midnight!” She hissed.

The first year smiled. “Come on.”

McGonagall looked back at the first year, the shiny broach hanging around her neck.

“He wants to see you.” An older student said.

“Who?” But she already knew the answer.

“The King.” Several students says eerily.

“If your acting this way on purpose I'm deducting house points.”

Fred passed George a galleon. “Told you she would see right through it.

“Professor.”

McGonagall turned to see a second year.

“We put it to a vote and the King says okay but we haven't much time. Please change and come with us.”

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back.

She flicked her wand and her night robes changed into her emerald green robes and a Gryffindor scarf. Had to support her house you know.

She followed the students, several of whom were casting silencing charms to keep the noise down.

Dolores had taken to patrolling the corridors at night as of late and neither teacher nor students could afford to be spotted.

They traveled quickly, heading to the courtyard.

Minerva McGonagall has seen many strange and wondrous things in her career as a Hogwarts professor and in her life as a witch but none could have prepared her for the sight she beheld as two seventh years grabbed her hands and the oak door appeared, pulled open to reveal a swirling green mass that glowed and beckoned with unearthly light.

“Once we're inside you have to hold on to me or George.” Fred warned.

McGonagall had been so entranced with the door she failed to notice the Weasley twins had taken her hands.

“If you let go you'll be pulled back.” George finished.

Suddenly the courtyard gates opened and the pink clad monstrosity herself stormed through.

“Minerva McGonagall. You are under arrest for attempting to conspire with these creatures!” She bellowed.

“Through the gate!” A perfect yelled, throwing up a shield charm,  and the group started running through, McGonagall pulled along behind them.

A brilliant red light hit her just as the twins leapt through, carrying the unconscious professor between them.

A ghostly knight flew over. “What happened.”

“Umbridge hit her with a stunner.” Fred told him.

“Get her in the carriage. The Keep has medical facilities. Do not let go or she’ll return to the human realm with her attackers.”

Through the portal the students could see Umbridge and a squad of Aurors attempting to break down the gate in slow motion but to no avail although now they knew exactly where it was.