Chapter 5

"If that is alright with you, me and detective Hank would like to speak with you again at the station."

"Of course. I will be down there as soon as possible."

Michelle got up out of her father's bed. She stared at the jewelry box she had found for a second and then decided to put it back in the closet.

She drove to the station debating whether she should tell Detective Bradley about her discoveries.

"Good Morning Michelle."

Detective Bradley greeted her with a warm handshake.

"This is Detective Hank. He offered to aid me in the investigation."

Detective Hank shook Michelle's hand, awestruck by her beauty up close.

They sat down at the table. Detective Bradley pulled out the evidence once again.

"Michelle, did you recall anything that might be helpful to the investigation?"

"No."

"Alright, well, we will share with you some of the things we learned from the autopsy if that is ok with you."

"Of course."

"It seems that the knife went through clean. There was no signs of struggle. The stab was on the left side of the body meaning that he could have easily stabbed himself with his right hand. The fact that he still had everything on him and that the wound was a straight shot through the stomach, it could easily have been a suicide."

Michelle laughed.

"You think my dad committed suicide? That is absurd."

"We have not said for certain, but we definitely can not rule it out."

Hank stared at Michelle as she found all of this a joke.

"One of you is telling me my dad commited suicide and you are just sitting there staring at me. Is this some kind of joke?"

Michelle got angry and stood up.

"Please Ms., sit down." Hank calmly said, now aware of how much he was staring.

"Detective Bradley I want that man out of here. I have something I need to say and I don't want him staring at me like that when I say it."

"Hank, would you please wait outside."

"She has no ri..."

"Hank"

Detective Hank stood up glaring at Michelle and then walked out the door.

"Detective I found some things last night that prove my father is still alive."

Michelle showed him the note that she had gotten in the mail and told him about the box she had found in the wall.

Detective Bradley furrowed his brow. This was strange indeed, but what did it have to do with his death?

Michelle stared at him as he was deep in thought.

"I know you may not believe me detective, but I will find him, whether you are with me or not. Change this case to a missing person's case and not a murder."

Detective Bradley looked shocked. She finds one note in a week old pile of mail and assumes he is still alive?

"We don't have enough evidence to suggest..."

Before he could finish his sentence, Michelle stood up and walked out. She didn't have time to deal with this nonsense.

Detective Bradley felt bad for her and wanted to help, but he felt she was being impulsive. He walked outside of the room where Hank was standing.

"What did the girl say?"

"Something about a box and a note she got in the mail. She thinks her father is still alive."

Hank looked worried when he said this.

"She thinks her father is still alive?"

"Apparently."

Hank let out a short laugh and then walked back towards his office.
************************************

Michelle drove back to her father's house.

She intended on staying there until she found him. Plus, she needed to search through his stuff to find the key to that box.

She grabbed the mail for the day. One bill and another envelope marked with her name on it.

She rushed inside to open it.

Setting down her purse, she tore the envelope open.

Inside was a Get Well Card.

She opened it and a small brass key fell out.