Chapter 19

Michelle sat stunned as she stared at the women who claimed to be her mother.

"I thought you were dead."

Kelly nodded.

"I feel like I am dead living in this town."

"Tell me what happened. Why didn't you come back to me?"

"Hank is the reason. He threatened my whole family if I didn't stay close to him. I begged him to let me have a life, so this is where he lets me stay. He visits me everyday to make sure I haven't left. I did this to keep you and your father safe."

"He killed father."

Kelly dropped to her knees.

"No, no he promised no harm would come..."

"Dad is dead because of Hank. The both of us need to get out of here. The man I was with can help us."

Kelly shook her head with fear.

"No. I can't. He will find me."

"Mom."

Michelle felt weird saying that word for the first time in so long.

Kelly's head snapped up.

"Don't call me that. I don't deserve to be called that."

"Whether you deserve it or not, that is what you are to me. Leave this tragic life behind and come with us."

"You don't understand. He will do horrible things to me when he finds me."

"He won't find you, I promise."

Kelly broke down on the ground and curled herself into a fetal position.

Michelle realized with horror that Hank had completely broken her mom. All the lies he had told her had brainwashed her into thinking she could never escape. He had her life under control for too long.

Michelle bent down and stroked her mother's hair.

"Mom listen, Hank does not control you. Benito will protect us from him. You have to get out of this town before he comes back to visit. He will kill you just like he did with dad."

Kelly continued to cry.

"I can never leave. Never."

"Mom, think this over before we leave in the morning. You won't regret going with us. For now I need to get some sleep."

Michelle walked back to the room where Benito sat on the bed waiting for her.

"How did it go?"

Michelle shook her head and explained what happened to Benito. He beckoned for her to come sit on the bed beside him. She sat beside him and rested her head on his shoulder. He stroked her hair and she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

***

"Wake up Michelle!"

Michelle was jerked awake by Benito grabbing her shoulders.

"He is here with a bunch of men! We need to hurry!"

Michelle sat up wide eyed. She didn't even have time to think about the fact that she had slept in the same bed as Benito all night. She hopped up out of bed.

A pounding at the door made her scream and Benito came over and put him arms around her.

"Shhhh, it's ok. Now I need you to listen. There are men surrounding the entire house. We won't be able to get out."