Chapter 16

Benito could see her up ahead. She amazed him. He wanted so badly to capture her and then drag her away to a little house in the middle of no where. He wondered if he should take the money or take the girl?

He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't realize that they weren't following anything anymore. She just disappeared. The men around him were shouting. He told his men to keep running ahead and that he was going to stay behind to look for her where she last disappeared.

He stopped running and crouched down, keeping himself hidden. He waited to hear something move.

At first all he could hear was his own breathing, loud in his ears. Then all of a sudden, he heard a quiet laugh and he saw her stand up and look to where the men had run ahead.

He has her now, he thought. She started to walk in his direction, not yet seeing him crouched there. She was so close.

He sprung out fast and grabbed her ankle.

"Ahhh," she screamed out.

Benito dragged her down and then got on top of her, pinning her arms down.

"I finally have you, beautiful."

Michelle turned away from him, not looking in his eyes. She was completely immoble.

"Look at me darling. Look at me!"

He shouted so loud that she snapped her head to look at him.

"That's better. Now you are worth a good deal of money to me, so you are coming back to my house. Hank should already be there, I imagine."

"No, please. Please don't take me back. You can't imagine the things he has done to me and my family. Lift up the back of my shirt."

"What?"

"I said lift up the back of my shirt."

Benito turned her over and lifted up her shirt to see her back.

He gasped.

"He did this to you?"

"That is only one example of the horror I had to endure. He killed both my parents and starved me while I was there."

Benito was silent with thought. No matter how bad he wanted that money, he couldn't give her back to Hank. He would destroy her, and she was too precious to destroy.

"Get up."

"No please."

"I said, get up."

Michelle got up with tears in her eyes.

"Don't worry, I am not letting that idiot take you back again."

Michelle looked genuinely surprised. She smiled and then embraced Benito in a hug.

Benito blushed. This girl was full of surprises. He still held onto her arm, but it was not necessary. Michelle decided to try and trust this man, mostly because she had no other choice. Benito called one of his men, telling him that he had found Michelle. He then explained his plan for keeping her safe. She could hear the surprise on the other line, but Benito was a feared leader, so they agreed.

They walked back in silence. Benito wanted so badly to know what she was thinking. They walked on for what felt like forever, until they could finally see the house.

Benito squeezed her arm tighter when he saw the white van pulled up to his house.

Michelle stopped in her tracks when she saw Hank leaning on the side of a white van.

"Come on."

Benito tugged her with him.

"We have to deal with him."

Michelle trudged on, knowing deep down something bad was about to happen.

The two of them finally reached the house to find Hank staring them down.

"How could you let her escape again?"

"The girl is a smart one Hank."

Hank reached out to grab Michelle and pull her to him, but she stepped back.

"I am not going anywhere with you ever again."

Hank smirked and lunged for her arm again, but this time Benito stepped in front of Michelle.

"She's right. She is not going anywhere with you."

Hank looked genuinely surprised at this.

"What about the money?"

"I don't care about the money anymore. I have seen what you did to this girl and I am not sending her back with you."

Just then three men came out the front door dragging Bradley out. His face was a mask of pain, but when he saw Michelle, his pain eased a little.

"I am tired of everyone disrespecting me! I want Michelle and I will have her!" Hank shouted loudly.

Hank pulled out a gun and pointed it at Bradley's chest.

"Get in the car Michelle or I will shoot him."

Michelle looked at Bradley and all she could see was fear in his eyes. Despite his fear, he shook his head, signaling for her not to go.

Michelle felt tears forming in her eyes. She felt like everyone she loved was killed because of her.

"She is not going anywhere and you will not be killing that injured man on my property." Benito sounded strong, but he was worried.

Hank ignored him, looking only at Michelle.

"Michelle, I said get in the car."

"I can't."

"Michelle, I will kill him."

Benito had no gun and his men were still walking back in the woods. He dared not move for fear that Hank would shoot him. They all stood still, waiting for something to happen.

"Please, please don't kill him."

"Then get in the car...now."

Michelle shook her head, tears pouring down her face. She knew if she went back with Hank, she wouldn't have the strength to escape him again.

"Michelle, you have to the count of three or Bradley will be gone."

Michelle stood there and stared only at Bradley.

"One."

Bradley mouthed "it will be ok. Let me go." The fear that was in his eyes was now gone.

"Two."

"I love you Michelle." Bradley said it loud and clear for everyone to hear. There was a slight pause and then the dreaded word.

"Three."

A shot rang out.

Michelle ran to Bradley.

She collapsed to her knees and kissed him.

"I...I love you too."

Bradley gave one final smile before his eyes closed.