XX

Y/N's POV
Word Count: 1,206

It was still Saturday, but the overall mood had changed. Since Max's attack on Neil and his hostility towards Preston, everything went much slower. Even Nikki had lost a little bit of her charm.
It had been striking me as odd all day, the way that people held their heads to the ground as Max passed. But then I realized something. While I had resolved my own conflicts with Max, nobody else had done so. Even though I couldn't help everyone else, I did in fact have the power to share my words and try to be a voice of reason.
So that was what I planned to do, starting with Preston. He was already one of my closest friends, so I didn't think it'd be too difficult to talk him through what had happened.

Preston was over by the stage talking to Harrison, just where I thought he'd be. Although, I didn't know Harrison that well at all.
I waltzed my way over to them, keeping my strides long and inviting. I had this thing where I could change my posture and the way that I presented myself so as to seem a little more approachable. That's what I had done to catch Preston's attention. "Hey!", I greeted. Harrison separated from Preston and made some room for me to join their conversation, which I gladly did. "Preston, is it okay if I talk to you?"
Harrison nudged Preston and let out a little snicker. "I'll leave you two to that.", Harrison jested with a suggestive grin. I rolled my eyes. Preston itched the back of his neck sheepishly. Harrison walked away and left us alone.
"So...", Preston trailed. "What did you want to say?"
I took in a big breath, held it for a moment, and let it back out. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to say, but I quickly came up with something. "I-I wanted to talk to you about what happened with Max.", I explained.
He nodded thoughtfully. "Don't worry yourself over it!", Preston piped up. "That's just how he is. It'll be fine in a week or so." Even though he was smiling, his eyes showed concern.
I grabbed Preston by the shoulder. "Look," I sighed. "I'm really upset about what happened. Please don't take what he said to heart. He's impulsive."
Preston looked to the ground. He shrugged. "It's not a big deal.", he insisted. "I mean, he's not exactly wrong. I do sort of like Harrison, just a little."
I giggled. "I wasn't asking you to start confessing your feelings!", I joked. "Seriously, though, he's just sort of mean. Don't let him get to you. We're still friends?"
Preston looked away. I took my hand off of his shoulder. "Suppose so.", he reasoned.
"Well," I started sarcastically. "If we're not friends, then I guess I'll just have to tell Harrison that you like him."
Preston pouted and stomped down his foot. "No!", he whined. "And like I said, I only like him a little bit. Plus, i-it's not like that..."
I rested my thumb on my bottom lip. "How so?", I asked.
He shrugged in response. "It's complicated."
I smirked. "I've got time for 'complicated'.", I implored, taking a seat on the dewey grass. Preston sighed and sat down beside me. "Give me the tea."
Preston started picking grass. "Fine," he groaned. "I already tried figuring out if he likes me, but I know he doesn't." Preston rested his chin on his free hand. He slouched as he stared at the ground. "But there's more to it. Harrison thinks I like you. So, even if maybe he did like me, I'm clearly not even an option for him."
I itched the top of my head. "Um, hold on, let me think.", I replied. I could let Preston use me liking Max as an excuse. I mean, he did confess a lot of stuff to me. I should be able to tell him about my secret relationship in return, right? As long as it doesn't get back to Max... I massaged the temples of my head with my thumbs. "O-Okay. I'm going to tell you something, but Max can't know that I told anyone."
Preston rolled his eyes. "We all know about your love fest, Y/N." My eyes widened. "What? You thought it was a secret? Look, I've already tried using Max as an excuse to make Harrison think that I couldn't ever like you anyway. It's no use.", he elaborated.
I started picking grass, too. I hated it when the grass broke, though. I liked to uproot it entirely so that I had the white part on the end, too. "Oh.", I mouthed. Preston crossed his arms. "Well, anyway, I-I just wanted to say, I'm sorry about what happened. I'll do what I can to make up for it."
Preston let out an agonizing groan. "Don't give me that, Y/N! We all know you're just going to run back to him!", Preston fumed. "I don't get it. Why do you even like a guy like that?"
I narrowed my eyes. I pierced Preston with my stare. "Why do you like Harrison?"
"I-I don't know.", he answered.
"Exactly.", I defended. "Feelings are weird, okay? Why is this such a big deal, anyways? It's my life!"
Preston closed his eyes and rubbed his face with his hands. When he removed his hands, his eyes were red and agitated. "I care because you're going to end up getting hurt.", he predicted. "But do whatever, it's your problem. And don't worry about me. I'll figure something out. Just don't run to me when everything falls apart. I'm your friend, but I can't fix your incoming problems, Y/N. You know that."
My gaze softened. I nodded. Preston's voice wasn't solid and sure, it was instead rather caring and tender. He wasn't being mean, he was just doing what felt right to him. "I-I know.", I replied. "Thanks. I-I have to go check on Neil, now."
The boy nodded. He adjusted the shoulder pads on his shirt while he stood. He didn't say anything, he just waved with a neutral expression. I gave him and understanding nod and walked away.

Phase one of my plans to resolve what I was involved with had gone pretty well. Now I just needed Neil's perspective, and this was the part I was nervous about. What on Earth would he say? Will he forgive Max? What about me? Am I any part of his anger? I needed to know.
__________________________
A/N - Woah. I literally just got home from band practice to discover that I've got 900 reads! Thank you guys so much! I love you! Also, sorry this chapter was a wee bit short. I'm crunched for time, again. ☁️

Comment Question of the Chapter:

How do you feel about the teases for the new Camp Camp episode? I never imagined the possibility of shipping Gwen with a water monster. Also, have you guys seen that Shape of Water movie? I haven't, it's way too cliché for my taste. Sometimes I like weird cliché Twilight type crap, and sometimes I honestly just don't.

 Sometimes I like weird cliché Twilight type crap, and sometimes I honestly just don't